DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:05 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:25 pm 

Does any one else get feb up of not getting calls or work been dead the last month for me 3 little jobs
thats it i cant work it out ,

my work is good the customers all ways happy with my work i have lots and lots of positve feedback on facebook and all over the other sites

i dont know what to do ::b been doing this for over 30 years now on and off did my aprentership in roofing then moved to joinery spend 15 years shopfitting all over the country but lately work has gone dead .

getting on now nearly 50 :lol: so thinking maybe i should get a real job with a steady wage sick pay paid holidays overtime :dunno:

is any one else this dead or just me
ghostrider

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 pm 
Old School Chippie

Are you being serious? We're currently in the middle of "silly season" where there are more jobs than joiners because, of course, summer holidays are when all the essential maintenance and extensions, etc are being done on schools, colleges and universities. I'm currently getting 3 to 5 texts or phone calls a day for work in the North West from a mixture of agencies and sub-contractors, but then I don't do much private work - mainly site based. In your situation I'd get myself on with a few local joinery firms and one or two agencies (take a look on Indeed) if only to tide myself over this thin patch.

In terms of alternatives what were you envisioning? You say "...thinking maybe i should get a real job with a steady wage sick pay paid holidays overtime, etc" but the first thing I'd say is that for many jobs overtime has in recent years been a thing of the past (because of the requirement for supervision), but the sick pay and holiday pay s handy. Against that on PAYE almost all the guys I've worked with in recent years seem dependent on the firm to supply their tools because they simply don't earn enough to keep-up a good tool kit (unless they are doing foreigners at the weekend) - and the Revenue don't want to help you because as an employee the firm is supposed to supply all your tools, isn't it?

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:02 pm 

hi got more tools than i ever need and the skill to use them but over this way ne lincs work is sh*t at the min feels like its getting worse the call and text i do get all start with hi whats the cheapest you can [ hang a door ,,do a decking,,, fit a kitchen ,,,ect ect ]

cant get site work had time served cscs card when shopfitting in 09 when it ran out they needed my paperwork gcse city and guilds or go back to night school i dont have any paper work so in catch 22 to get site work i neeed paper work but i cant afford miss work to go get it and pay the bills

i have tried subbying to some other firms but they want to give you between £80 to £120 minus your 20%

there guy over here hang doors for £10 there a guy who does a 8 by 10 decking for £300 all in
just fed up chasing my tail when my work is better than 95% of the so called chippies in this area

ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:15 pm 

You need to get your cscs card and go on site mate. Agencies in my area which is not in the high wage category are paying 17-22 quid an hour for joiners. You need a gold cscs card tho but city and guilds is accepted to get you one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 pm 
Old School Chippie

ghostrider wrote:
cant get site work had time served cscs card when shopfitting in 09 when it ran out they needed my paperwork gcse city and guilds or go back to night school i dont have any paper work so in catch 22 to get site work i neeed paper work but i cant afford miss work to go get it and pay the bills

Been there, done that..... In my case my C&Gs pre-dated NVQs by, oh, about ten years, so they were bloody awkward with me. In the end the fastest/cheapest/simplest way was to get one of the local colleges to do an on-site assessment. Ask the local colleges in your area if they have an OSAT tutor and funding. It may be possible to get it for low cost/nothing. Takes only a few days if you can show a body of work and skills. Could possibly be done on one of your private jobs. At least that way you'd be eligible to get a blue card which would get you site work. PM me if you want to discuss off-line.

ghostrider wrote:
i have tried subbying to some other firms but they want to give you between £80 to £120 minus your 20%

North West rates are in the region of £130 to £150, not accounting for the annual "summer madness" rates. And if you sub you are legally obliged to pay the tax man his 20%, although you put in a claim at the end of the year for tools, travel, office expenses, phone, work clothes, etc so you should get £1500 to £2500 back, possibly more. In NE Lincs what is going to pay better than a subby rate on a regular basis?

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:19 pm 

whenever ive had nowt on i just go to howdens and benchmarx and say got ney graft. soon get kitchens etc

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : Job and Knock
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 am 

I spent the largest part of my working life on PAYE working for a firm and have been self employed around six years so perhaps a view from both sides.
On the one side the pay might not have been fantastic but it was regular and it paid for the houses and verything else without debts. Only had call to use the sick pay once but paid holidays were good.
Self employed and while there is some regularity with some of the work it could I suppose dry up tomorrow although it hasn't shown any sign of doing that , there's a steady stream off work coming in. Plus I can pick and choose and not have to get up at five in the morning to get my day in. My other half has the tax system pretty much worked out and knows what we can claim or not inacially we're not doing badly at all. Worst thing is that taking holidays in the summer is awkward .
Funnily enough speaking to a customer some time ago he was talking about some of the mechanics at the bus company he works for . Apparently they were having trouble holding onto apprentices and even some of the older guys were leaving and quite a few had gone to the likes of Lidl . Their pay is actually quite decent , it's not dirty or heavy work and there's no need to supply tools or anything like that.