A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Foundation Underpinning
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all.

We are having a fair bit of work done on our old stone built house; a lot of which (mostly the donkey work) I am doing myself. The more I do, the more confident I grow in my ability and I have accepted my own challenge of the following:-

One of the jobs is to open up an external wall (from left side door relief to right side window relief) and install a panoramic door set up, probably bi-folds. I have had all the plans done and approved and am now in the process of establishing which builder I trust to do the work. It is beyond my capabilities as there is a lot of acrowing up of the walls and stone removal and steel insertion.

The drawings however indicate that under each existing end of the opening, a trial pit must be dug and foundations checked for support capability. If not suitable, a mass concrete underpin under each end must be cast (1m x 1m x 0.45m). This is the labour intensive piece that I am fancying myself. I plan to dig the pits to expose the foundation, get the buildings inspector in to come check them and advise whether the underpinning is required (which I guess it will be considering house is 240+ years old).

I will then dig out the square, board and prop it off and then pour in the concrete. hey presto, job done.

Am I biting off too much? Does it sound easier in my head than it actually is (dig a big hole and pour concrete in)? Does it (by regulation) have to be a qualified person that does this?

Regards

/Danny

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 pm 
Old School Chippie

DM67 wrote:
I will then dig out the square, board and prop it off and then pour in the concrete. hey presto, job done.

You don't always need to prop or shutter if you just dig-out neatly...... In that case you should just be able to do your pour straight into the hole providing you clean out any rubbish then damp down the sides and bottom before doping your pour. Get advice from your concrete suppl;ier on this

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930