DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:26 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, does the above exist? I already have a forklift licence but looking around has shown that telescopic handling jobs are £15 an hour plus! I really want to get into this but can't find anyone to ask- I was hoping there'd be a dedicated forum where there'd be discussions about construction work- can someone please help me out? I need to know whether it'll be worth before I invest almost 1500 in this course to get a CPCS so I can do Telescopic handling...

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm 

Jumanji95 wrote:
I need to know whether it'll be worth before I invest almost 1500 in this course to get a CPCS so I can do Telescopic handling...

Any "course" is there to make money............for the people who run the course. If a company want you to learn xyz (telescopic fork lift in your case) then they will pay for you to go on said course.

The other way of looking at it is :

You go to job interview where they are asking for a person who can do xyz, they ask what experience you have in xyz, you say none (the truth) NEXT....

Or try this. You can't even find a forum related to xyz (telescopic fork trucks)

Q. so what will change after you have paid lots of money for this course?

A. You will still not have a job and be £x lighter

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 pm 

Just type “telehandler jobs in (whatever area)” and it’ll throw up hundreds of jobs mate.
A lot will be agency but you lots of permanent jobs will come up too. Lots of work for telehandlers just now but you’ll need the cscs card and the telehandler ticket too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Jumanji95 wrote:
I need to know whether it'll be worth before I invest almost 1500 in this course to get a CPCS so I can do Telescopic handling...

Any "course" is there to make money............for the people who run the course. If a company want you to learn xyz (telescopic fork lift in your case) then they will pay for you to go on said course.

The other way of looking at it is :

You go to job interview where they are asking for a person who can do xyz, they ask what experience you have in xyz, you say none (the truth) NEXT....

Or try this. You can't even find a forum related to xyz (telescopic fork trucks)

Q. so what will change after you have paid lots of money for this course?

A. You will still not have a job and be £x lighter

But then how does a person even get into it in the first place with no training AND no experience which is twice as worse...
I was also worried if a company in any industry paid for my training in any discipline then I would be at their mercy... would need to sign some long term contract or something- in case they train me and I leg it after 6 months or something of using them for experience...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am 

Jumanji95 wrote:
But then how does a person even get into it in the first place with no training AND no experience which is twice as worse...
I was also worried if a company in any industry paid for my training in any discipline then I would be at their mercy... would need to sign some long term contract or something- in case they train me and I leg it after 6 months or something of using them for experience...

It doesn't work like that, you don't wake up one day and realise that last night you could not drive a fork lift truck and this morning you can drive one with your eyes closed, you have to be trained, and if the company you are working for want you to learn a new skill then they pay for it. Too bad if you leave after x months, the idea is they keep you happy so you stay.

If you haven't got a particular skill for a company you don't work for, then don't apply to work for that company, look for a company you can fit in, or one that offers training.

Our local bus company had a good poster, it read,

"Didn't get that job as an astronaut? (Had a picture of an astronaut in a space suit) then become a bus driver instead, full training given"

The point is, most people realise that "Take this expensive course and become a qualified XYZ" are a waste of money and employers are also "most people"

Or look at it this way.

You need a new turbo fitted to your car, would you take it to the bloke who "did a crash course" in being a mechanic or would you take it to somewhere that you feel comfortable with?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 pm 

A lot of agencys put people through the courses but you’ve to pay them back every week off your wages. The construction industry had very few permanent jobs nearly everyone is self employed or a temporary agency worker.