DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:00 am 

Some of the 3rd party batteries get decent user-reviews these days, and they have at least some protection circuitry. But most reviewers are only using them on smallish tools like drill/drivers, which aren't too challenging for over-current, over-heat etc.

Does any one know if any of the 3rd party battery brands (e.g. NeBatte, LiBatter etc) cope well with Makita's higher drain and 2x18(36v) tools?

Thanks,

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:18 pm 
Old School Chippie

The only one I have experience with is a solitary Axminster 4Ah battery which works well enough on a Makita DSP600 2 x 18 volt plunge saw when teamed with an OEM battery. That Ax. battery has no protection circuitry in it at all but the saw seems to sense voltage drop and warn appropriately when the battery is running low, however, for tools which are more likely to draw extreme amounts of power and where there is a risk of running the battery hot (e.g. angle grinders, recip. saws, etc) I wouldn't dare use a 3rd party battery on the grounds that AFAIK they don't have the temperature sensors that the OEM batteries have.

A few years ago I made the move across to D-series tools (from the older, non-protected B-series) and OEM (Makstar) batteries precisely because I had cooked a number of batteries (both OEM and 3rd party) doing jobs like recip. sawing, hole sawing (big saws, though, 120 to 150mm), grinding stone and so forth - and I was becoming thoroughly fed-up with the charger marking batteries as bad simply because it is so finicky. In point of fact at the time Makita was beginning to get a bit of a reputation for having problems. Since making the change I've had a few of my older batteries die (of old age) but otherwise I've not experienced a single problem. Which is why I've stuck to Maktar batteries for all my new purchases

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : Kev888
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:30 pm 

Thanks very much for all the info, extremely useful stuff. :thumbright:

So it seems things are reasonably compatible, but more risky if the 3rd party ones don't have the makstar's sophistication. They make 'some' claims but I've seen a few pictures and videos of various internals, and so far none have had a circuit board thats the same as the OEM ones, so I'm not confident that they're as trustworthy.

Think I'll go for the Makita batteries for the bigger tools (at the very least) then, either 5ah or a larger number of 4ah ones for similar money. I don't want to be worrying about battery failures spoiling my day. It may also help make some decisions about what tools to go for in the first place. Or else invest in some way to re-charge on site.

thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:39 pm 

In addition to the above, reading some more reviews suggests (to me, anyway) that 3rd party batteries may struggle more with Makita tools/chargers than some other brands. So my mind is now doubly made up, and I ordered some genuine Makita 5.0Ah batteries and dual charger.

Where there is access to 240v for charging, I don't need too many batteries to keep working (even using cordless garden tools). Where there isn't, it looks like running a small generator would be more cost effective than trying to buy enough batteries for all eventualities, even if 3rd party.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:21 pm 

I use the third party battery’s on my dewalt tools including my nailer and circular saw and they are every bit as good as genuine battery’s....but less than half the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:02 pm 

Yeah, for some reason, the DeWalt flavour of these things seem to get fewer reliability problems reported than the Makita variant. AFAIK the cells are the same, so it must be down to the 3rd-party electronic's compatibility, especially with high drains.

I'll probably get some of the 3rd-party batteries for my existing DeWalt stuff, the batteries are ageing but the tools are fine.