Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:27 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I live in an old house that doesn’t mention the exact boundaries in the deeds and a Land registry map is just genera and not accurate. I have a hedge running down the side of my property and also a very old 2ft high metal fence that the hedge has grown around and obscured.

Would the metal fence be more likely to be deemed as the boundary feature than a moving/living one such as a hedge?

Also,If building plans are approved and the plans show the metal fence does that then prove that it is the properties boundary?

Thank you

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:15 am 

The Land Registry map will be accurate. They are the people to speak to as if you go to court they will be providing the court with the evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I’ve looked into it and unless there are very detailed, T marked maps a registered title map cannot be used for accurate boundary definition.

Quote:
Land Registry is required by Section 60 of the Land Registration Act, 2002 to show only the general position of a boundary. Section 12 of the Ordnance Survey Act, 1841 decrees that Ordnance Survey maps “shall not extend, or be deemed or be construed to extend, to ascertain, define, alter, enlarge, increase or decrease, nor in any way to affect, any Boundary or Boundaries of...any Land or Property”.

These two pieces of legislation effectively mean that a title plan cannot show the exact line of a boundary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am 

Ok so you don't think the LR maps will be accurate, unless they work in your favour on the building control plans?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am 

Are you 'in dispute'? Have you discussed the issue with any adjoining neighbours?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:21 am 

the LR maps and os maps differ, due to the age of the property it will have a paper deed with the plot allocation and the boundary info - if there is a mortgage on the property - the lender will hold the deeds

You lender mite be interested in the boundary issue as they are the deed holder

also if there building a wall on the Boundary line, that comes under the party wall agreement, what you can have put into there planning as a condition (they have to pay your costs) also they will need access to your property that also needs to be put in writing

Communication is key with this sort of issue !!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am 
Newly registered Member

Civil communication is out of the question, as we’re dealing with an actual criminal who has a history of forcibly taking people’s land and also suing. We are in a dispute.

The building plans which are about 6 years old were approved and followed through, the map is detailed and works in my favour but I don’t know if it’s something that would work in my favour in a legal aspect. It’s a property that’s 150+ years old and the deeds don’t mention specifics about the boundaries. The neighbour is disputing a foot or two of land.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am 

Good luck with that then. No matter the outcome you will lose if he is a criminal with a dodgy past. How much do you love the property?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am 
Newly registered Member

Rorschach wrote:
Good luck with that then. No matter the outcome you will lose if he is a criminal with a dodgy past. How much do you love the property?

I would have thought his criminal past would count against him if it were to come down to mediation or court. I’m not going to be bullied out of my home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 am 

One of my neighbours is a retired boundary surveyor - he's absolutely loaded after a long career dealing with garden disputes. Just saying.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 am 

AJ1983 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I would have thought his criminal past would count against him if it were to come down to mediation or court. I’m not going to be bullied out of my home.

His criminal past will have no bearing on a civil case. That was not my point anyway. Criminals get what they want regardless of the law or other people, hence why they are criminals. Even if you win your case I dread to think of the repercussions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm 

I do not know if this will help http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=5&lat ... &point=0,0 but this site shows historical maps which might show an original plot boundary. This is a horrible situation for you but going to law can be ruinous. I cannot offer any useful suggestions for you, sorry.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:36 pm 

As DWD says it's a horrible situation, but going to the law can be ruinous.
The trouble is with the dispute being over a couple of feet, is that even on a plan 1:1250 (which I believe is the standard for land plans), an 0.5mm line is 625 mm wide on the ground.
Or about 2 feet.
Unless you have exact measurements from some fixed, and very accurate point I don't see how you can get it more accurate.
People have lost many thousands of pounds fighting over boundaries, as has already been said.
It's one thing not giving into bullies, another gambling your families future wealth against it.
To say nothing of the stress of it all.
Unless it means you can't do something there, like access your garage or similar, I wonder how far I'd take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dave54 wrote:
As DWD says it's a horrible situation, but going to the law can be ruinous.
The trouble is with the dispute being over a couple of feet, is that even on a plan 1:1250 (which I believe is the standard for land plans), an 0.5mm line is 625 mm wide on the ground.
Or about 2 feet.
Unless you have exact measurements from some fixed, and very accurate point I don't see how you can get it more accurate.
People have lost many thousands of pounds fighting over boundaries, as has already been said.
It's one thing not giving into bullies, another gambling your families future wealth against it.
To say nothing of the stress of it all.
Unless it means you can't do something there, like access your garage or similar, I wonder how far I'd take it.

We’re going to represent ourselves if it comes to court. I can’t see how he can prove/provide evidence to support his claims, so hopefully it will drain his finances and not ours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:56 pm 

I wish you well with it, I sincerely mean that. I think that representing yourself is an advantage as the Judge will see this as the small man against the evil b*stard.

DWD