DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:36 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I've been using good quality brushes and rollers to my emulsion painting but the results aren't that great, the rollers seem to go 'flat' and don't hold the paint, also I get a line of paint from either side of the roller that if I don't immediately roll over again will leave lines in the finished work.
So. I'm thinking of using paint pads, used them years ago with mixed results, are modern ones any good ?

I know I'm going to be told that I'm using the roller wrong or using the wrong paint but I would still like to know if paint pads are an option.

ta

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:09 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What do class as 'good' quality, lines in the paint usual means that the roller is dry and your pushing to hard or the roller is over loaded

cost doesn't always equal quality especially if your buying retail (B&Q, Wickes, etc)

pad pad's are just for the diyer's , my grandfather used brushes and rollers, my dad has and I have, take your time and don't rush - painting is all in the prepwork

Last edited by Bob225 on Sun May 13, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:11 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

I don't know any professional decorator's that use paint pads for standard emulsion jobs, and I don't know of any trade centres that sell them, so that pretty much answers your question.

When you say you are using good quality rollers, are you using Purdy, Wooster or Hamilton or similar?

Also, which emulsion are you using, and are you conditioning it correctly for the job in hand, ie adding a little bit of water to ease application?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Purdy rollers and Purdy and Hamilton brushes, I don't have a problem with the brushes but the rollers seem just to go flat and I have to push a little harder to actually get the paint onto walls and ceilings.

I have some stuff (can't remember what it's called but I'll find out tomorrow) that I add to the paint that stops it drying out so fast but I still have problems getting the paint on in the first place.

Using Leyland trade contract paint.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:43 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

trogg wrote:
Purdy rollers and Purdy and Hamilton brushes, I don't have a problem with the brushes but the rollers seem just to go flat and I have to push a little harder to actually get the paint onto walls and ceilings.

I have some stuff (can't remember what it's called but I'll find out tomorrow) that I add to the paint that stops it drying out so fast but I still have problems getting the paint on in the first place.

Using Leyland trade contract paint.
Are you painting new plaster?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes fitzy, 60/40 paint/water ceilings and walls, then ceilings have then had 2 coats on Leyland emulsion and could do with a third coat in places although in the past I've only used 2 coats.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 pm 
CLOSED ACCOUNT

trogg wrote:
Yes fitzy, 60/40 paint/water ceilings and walls, then ceilings have then had 2 coats on Leyland emulsion and could do with a third coat in places although in the past I've only used 2 coats.
All I can say is really load up your roller and don't mess about too long with it.

Painting new plaster can be hard graft. We're currently doing a big staircase before the stairs go in and it's quite a big and high area of new plaster so we've got a 12 and 18 inch roller in.

Problem with using contract emulsion for all your coats is that it never really seals the plaster because it's designed to let the plaster dry through it. For that reason each coat you apply will soak in very quickly and give you little time to roll it out.

If you just use it for the mist coat, then apply a few coats of vinyl matt emulsion to finish, you should make your life much easier for yourself.

For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : trogg
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks fitzy, i'll give that a try :thumbright:

For this message the author trogg has received gratitude : fitzy