Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:46 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage security
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 pm 

House on our street has had their garage broken into, second time in 18months. Long story attached but I am almost certain it's an insurance job as they had their car knicked last year too. No-one else has been broken into or had a car stolen for 20 years, they have been hit 3 times in the 3 years or so they have lived here :scratch:

Anyway, got me thinking about my garage. It's pretty secure being part of the house, no alarm though and not visibly secure though I have some hidden security. I was thinking, does adding more visible security put off a burglar, or make it more enticing?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Garage security
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:24 pm 

I would go for discreet security.

I'd also work on how to drop your neighbours in it, they're increasing everyone else's premiums.

I have a siren in my garage which will go off if anyone opens the door, (it was redundant after a bank re-fit).

The sound has a ten mile carry (has also been used as an air raid siren in the past).

If that goes off just a couple of feet from your lughole you won't be hanging around, and it will probably wake me up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:12 pm 
Pro Carpenter

too much security says something worth nicking :lol:
open areas little or no cover and crunchy gravel :dunno:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Best security for a garage door I've found is park something in front of said door.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 am 

ayjay wrote:
I would go for discreet security.

I'd also work on how to drop your neighbours in it, they're increasing everyone else's premiums.

I have a siren in my garage which will go off if anyone opens the door, (it was redundant after a bank re-fit).

The sound has a ten mile carry (has also been used as an air raid siren in the past).

If that goes off just a couple of feet from your lughole you won't be hanging around, and it will probably wake me up.

It's tricky, they have already been asking around if anyone has CCTV (before calling police it seems), my assumption is they want to know if they will get caught.
I also think if they get reported, they will know it's either me or another neighbour, and if they are the sort of people who can arrange for stuff to be "stolen" then do I really want to be on their bad side, they know my garage is full of tools.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:26 am 

big-all wrote:
too much security says something worth nicking :lol:
open areas little or no cover and crunchy gravel :dunno:

Yeah thats what i thought.

So lets change up the remit of this post a little. Ideas for discrete garage security?

Garage is part of the house, bedroom above (though not used), drive way in front, tarmac, little on the dark side at night. Car usually parked on the drive. Don't want to park the car too close though as it's quite a steep slope and moving off is tricky as it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 am 

Rorschach wrote:
So lets change up the remit of this post a little. Ideas for discrete garage security?

It depends on how you need to access the garage, and what type of door it is. It's easy enough to make it impenetrable from the outside if you usually access it from the inside the house.

For example, up and over door, something like a ladder hook on each side and a plank dropped in to the hooks will stop the door from opening, but needs removing from the inside before you can open it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am 
Newly registered Member

I've got a garage in the typical 'bank of garages' luckily where I've just moved to I can see it straight from the house.
I've got a (very) high security amtech padlock on the top, it's an up and over door. But what I did do to secure the bottom and sides is put 2mm thick steel plate, about 8 inch square on each hasp. And a half tidy padlock. Reinforcing what they latch into with same steel plate.
When you think of it, if they want in, they'll get in, probably taking most of the frame if they tackled mine. And I never make sure my garage is open when there are others I don't know around. Don't show, don't worry...
Don't bother with dummy cameras, they antagonise some and look terrible.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

If you have an up and over door I would think about securing the access. They are very easy to peel back and get in. Look at the garage door bolts, Enfield seem to be a named brand I can mention. They are descreet and don't really hinder the use of the door.
Is the house alarmed? If so extend the system to include the area.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:01 pm 

I think the days of security showing you have something worth nicking are long gone. Everyone has something worth nicking even if the owners don't see it. A burglar doesn't know until they break in.

Cctv is so cheap now and easy to install. Alarms are the same. If you have power to a garage you could install ip cameras via power line adaptors back to a hybrid dvr or nvr in the house.

I actually watched 2 burglars do a u turn because they saw my cctv cameras. They had attempted a burglary down the road and the police wanted to see if I had them on cctv. You see them spot the cameras and walk back down the road.

With technology advances prices drop. You could even setup up pin hole spy cameras via power line adaptors if you wanted discreet. In my mind you need a mix of obvious and discreet. Obvious deters but discreet can capture when obvious is avoided.

Alarms tell everyone something is wrong.