DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, happy to send photos by email as can't get the app to upload on my phone but I'll do my best to describe the above.

I got a new kitchen faucet and installed it successfully yesterday, however there is still a problem - the faucet is loose with water seeping under the faucet making the granite counter wet underneath and causing the plastic triangle (despite its horseshoe rubber and metal fixings) to move. I've ordered OATEY COMPANY - 14-oz. Sta Put Ultra Plumber's Putty. Also wondering if I should use a flat rubber washer, grommet or 'O' ring along with it (unless it won't work with putty touching rubber fixings instead of metal tap) or instead? If I should use these rubber fixings then should I use them together (flat washer with 'O' ring) or just one of them? Should I put above sink and below sink?

I don't want the faucet to move and I want it to be water sealed.

Would much appreciate the help.

Anton - DIY guy in training ( ;

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:17 pm 

Is the plumbing leaking or is it surface water seeping through the faucet hole?

For this message the author Manc chippy has received gratitude : AntonMarcus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm 

!. Sounds as if you are based in the USA. This is a UK based forum, so things like sealants and fixings may well be different.
2. You should not need a sealant between tap (faucet) and the counter. The one you have ordered sound rather like our "Plumber's Mait" which a non-setting putty like substance. Not used for sealing taps as it has no grip.
3. In the UK there is usually a black rubber ring under the tap (sometimes inset into a chrome plated washer) which provides the seal between tap and counter.
4. Below the counter there is usually a rubber "horseshoe" washer and a horseshoe shaped steel or brass washer, both of which fit over a 10mm (3/8") stud. The stud screws into the base of the tap, and a nut fits over the under-counter end of the stud, and is tightened to grip the counter between the two horseshoe washers. If a plastic triangle is used, it is normally as reinforcement for a stainless steel sink to prevent the tap wobbling as the thin steel flexes. It wouldn't be used for a granite work top (counter). If it were used, it would be fitted between the underside of the counter and the two horseshoe washers.
5. It sounds as if:
5a. The nut is not being done up tight enough. OR
5b. There is no black rubber washer under the body of the tap above the counter.
5c. Possibly, the triangle is catching on something, preventing the nut being tightened properly.

Good luck

For this message the author andy48 has received gratitude : AntonMarcus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

For Manc Chippy: Surface water seeping through the faucet hole.

For andy48: Very helpful.
1. Lol, actually UK.
2. What about using the putty between the plastic triangle and the granite counter top ie just underneath.
3. Yes, but this is a very thin and almost insignificant rubber ring is inset/which tucks under the base of chrome faucet so it looks almost insignificant in its efficacy. Should I replace this with a thicker ring? Should I additionally use a flat rubber ring as well underneath this ring? By the way, is this classed as an 'O' ring?
4. Yes that stud was a problem by the way. The one the faucet came with was too small in length with inch of granite with inch of plastic triangle and to go high enough into faucet. So I searched a lot and discovered it's called a flat point full threaded grub screw. Have you ever encountered the same problem? Before I found this out I created a makeshift solution - a 8M x 100mm roofing bolt!
Out of all you said the point you make that I wouldn't use it with a granite counter top could be the gold nugget of your reply! I see what you mean. That may be the solution - to dispel of plastic triangle. How I'm using it currently is how you detail it.
5a. Maybe which I could try but think it's not the why.
5b. Nope.
5c. Not as far as I can see. It's flat against surface.

Really appreciate your reply and look forward to one more!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 pm 

1. My mistake.
2. Wouldn't bother. The waterproof seal should be made above the counter top. If not, then water can get in, and no matter what else will probably find its way down the thread of the stud.
3. If its a decent make of tap I'd expect the ring which tucks into the tap to be adequate, particularly on something hard and flat like granite. If the tap is an import its possible it might not be adequate. You could try a larger O ring, but in theory it shouldn't fit as the groove and O ring dimensions are pretty complementary. You could try using a silicone sealant between base of tap and counter (as well as the washer). I've made up rubber washers from old inner tubes before now, but you need access to a drill press and a lathe (to make the cutter). If the washer you have has a circular cross section it is classed as an O ring.
4. Try without the triangle, and see if the original stud is then long enough. If you still need extra length, replace with a piece of stainless steel of brass (very expensive) M8 studding, sometimes called "all thread". If you use an old bolt, then unless it is stainless steel it is likely to corrode into the brass of the tap and become very difficult to remove.
5. Try again with original O ring (if good), new one or silicone if not. Should be possible to do the nut up tight enough to stop the tap body swivelling, and that should be tight enough to stop water coming through.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:00 am 
Newly registered Member

Very helpful again, thanks! So I got rid of the plastic triangle and was able to use the original grub screw it came with and tightened the bolt a lot. Tap has been good since, so far anyway! So if I'd known your info before I started, I would've saved hassle and about £30!

One thing I will mention is that it was a pretty awkward undertaking trying to tighten the nut without the faucet moving. It took much of my arms outstretched to do this, what do short armed plumbers do?!!

This is now sorted though so appreciate it.

How do you know this stuff? Are you a plumber or just experienced in DIY?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm 

Plumber.