DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:41 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am 

I need to cut down a few small trees - the biggest has a trunk that is about 12" across, and none are more than about 10-12ft tall.
I think I need a chainsaw to do the job, and don't know what to buy (I don't want to hire)
I doubt it will be used much, so I don't want to spend a lot of money, but so far the Makita cordless appeals as I already have some 5ah batteries - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MQIAZ7J/ ... B00M215BO0

..but there is also the cheapo mains-powered Titan from Screwfix - https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb355 ... nsaw/92771
..or a mains-powered Makita - https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/maki ... 42019.html

I can't see me ever being away from mains power, don't want the hassle of petrol, and can't see me wearing even a cheapo out.

Has anyone here got any experience of either, or can you suggest any others I look at ?

Many thanks for any replies !

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am 

This is the one to go for https://www.screwfix.com/p/fpcsp52-51cm ... nsaw/1103v
Quite frankly it has the power, no leads, batteries failing and it is relatively cheap. Do not skimp on protection and read up on chainsaw cutting methods. If you do not respect them they can kill you.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am 

When I was in your position I got a Bosch mains powered. I would chose the mains powered makita ... unless you have a massive garden or you cut trees for a living battery powered or petrol are a waste of money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 am 

dewaltdisney wrote:
This is the one to go for https://www.screwfix.com/p/fpcsp52-51cm ... nsaw/1103v
Quite frankly it has the power, no leads, batteries failing and it is relatively cheap. Do not skimp on protection and read up on chainsaw cutting methods. If you do not respect them they can kill you.

DWD

Thanks for the suggestion DWD, but I am keen to stay away from petrol for various reasons - noise being the biggest one as I'll be working surrounded by neighbours...
I have had a few (petrol) chainsaws over the years so have some idea of how to use them, and always had problems due to infrequent use.

Also, I'd rather have something with a smaller than 50cm bar..

For this message the author stevewestern has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm 

OchAye wrote:
When I was in your position I got a Bosch mains powered. I would chose the mains powered makita ... unless you have a massive garden or you cut trees for a living battery powered or petrol are a waste of money.

Thanks OchEye, it is the one that appeals most to me so far...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 pm 

Because, like you, I already had Makita batteries, I recently treated myself to a DUC353 and I have to say that I was mosted impressed with its performance. I've not owned a chainsaw before but do have common sense as to their use, it was brilliant on dry logs up to 15cm.

But then the electricity board left an old pole, 25cm diameter, on my land - the bottom, out of the ground, is soaking wet then the next bit is going rotten. I worked the saw hard, cutting from the bottom into 20cm chunks. The batteries got hot, red lights flashed and the chain went totally blunt in the space of one last cut.

New chain arrived today, back to the job tomorow. Maybe I'll work a bit slower!