A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:04 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: tool advice please....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi hope you are all well.

I'm looking to buy a few tools. my old mitre saw is just rubbish now and it needs replacing.

i also need a dust extractor for sanding and mitre-ing inside the house.

i would probably like a stand for my mitre saw but i do have a big workshop that already has a 4m bench in it, i could mount it on that but will probably want to bring this mitre saw inside the house if i can get good dust extraction.

so, look, yes, i'm probably all the gear and no idea, but i'm learning, i love building things, and i dont want crap kit.

ive got a decent budget, its flexible, i don't like wasting money, but am prepared to pay for quality kit. i dont do woodwork for a living, but ive got an old house and am doing more and more tasks - ive just finished building a double width bunk bed with 8 x 2's and a safety barrier and stairs and the limitations of my crap 15 year old SIP mitre saw have really annoyed me...its built now but everytime i look at some of the supposed 90 degree cuts it irritates me! i may even take on building some of a rear kitchen diner extension soon - get a shell built and do the rest myself.

i'd rather spend a bit more and buy a decent tool that will last and do a fantastic job than buy something cheaper, BUT i dont want to blow loads of cash needlessly on something because of the brand.

i currently have a load of dewalt xr lion kit, which i love (saw, impact driver, drivers, angle grinder, jigsaw)

i bought a festool tracksaw a few years ago and it is amazing...but, how much better it is than the nearest rival would have been i will never know, ive never had a tracksaw before....and i know that the festool was nearly twice as expensive than say the makita i was looking at.

so...

my first choice is festool kapex 120, dewalt 780 dws, theres a bosh glide also. makita ls is also mentioned.

the festool is so much more expensive than the others though. is it worth it?

then i need a dust extractor that can handle a sander. again, festool....but they are so much money.

the dust extractor needs to be portable from the shed to the house and work with a several non festool sanders (a bosh multitool and a wickes orbital)

all advice appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

ive got the kapex. the 240v models are apparently sound. mine is 110v and it can sometimes struggle it seems.

ive got festool midi and ctl26 extractors. both are sound also.

festool is th best mitre saw for dust extraction. none of the others come close. ya do get a bit dust still like. also it works better with a 36mm hose

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : Job and Knock
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks for that.

ive gone for the grey and green.... much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:13 pm 
Old School Chippie

psychonaut wrote:
i bought a festool tracksaw a few years ago and it is amazing...but, how much better it is than the nearest rival would have been i will never know, ive never had a tracksaw before....and i know that the festool was nearly twice as expensive than say the makita i was looking at.

Well, Festool sets the benchmark that everyone strives for, Mafell surpasses it a little (but noy=t £100 mlore) mainly because of an arguably better (although more fragile) rail design, and Makita follows up behind (at £100 or so less than the Festool it is 95% of the Festool with a few less convenient features). In other words a very good saw indeed

psychonaut wrote:
my first choice is festool kapex 120, dewalt 780 dws, theres a bosh glide also. makita ls is also mentioned.

the festool is so much more expensive than the others though. is it worth it?

It has by far the best accuracy and repeatability of the saws you mention, also the best dust extraction (both the Bosch and the DW throw dust exerywhere, don't kow about the Makita) and the Kapex mounted on a UG stand is brilliantly portable (maybe not something you need). That's why my own big saw is a Kapex. Currently using a 6 year old Makita LS1013 and I now realise how far on mitre saws have moved. I've had access to a new Makita LS1019 recently and it borrows some of the best features from the DW/Kapex such as replaceable detente plate for mitreing, far more legible bevel angle plate, better DX, etc. Looks like Makita are really trying, The big DW is an incredibly durable and robust design which is why so many of them have sold, but it's big and heavy - or it is until you compare it with a Milwaukee 12in SCMS or the Bosch Glide, both of which are back-breakingly heavy. Yes, on 110v the "motor issue" of the Kapex is perhaps an issue, but I baby mine (don't let anyone share your power supply, ever) and if it cooked the motor I'd probably rebuild it - well, at least the first time - because the saw is so darned good

psychonaut wrote:
then i need a dust extractor that can handle a sander. again, festool....but they are so much money

The name these days is Starmix. They are generally sold in the UK badged as Metabo or Spit, but they really are better extractors than the Festools. The model to look for (for woodworking) is the ASR35M, and yes, at £500 they don't come cheap. Alternatively a more basic extractor with an in-line cyclone extractor would do as well, if not better

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:46 am 
Newly registered Member

thanks for this. i bought the kapex 120 with the wheeled ug stand. have to say it is amazing. i also bought the festool extractor...we shall see how it goes.

thanks for all your input!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 pm 
Old School Chippie

BTW I wasn't saying that Festools aren't good extractors - I was saying that the Starmix-derived ones are better

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks again. i probably could have saved some money but the difference between the kapex and the dewalt was a few hundred quid, and i think, well, im going to own this for a long time, even if its only 10 years, its 20 quid per year extra. to be honest any of those bits of kit would be way superior to my (now very) crappy 120 quid chop saw that i bought 15 years ago , and i am not a carpenter by any means, but i want to learn and make a better job of the stuff i do, so im pretty happy. the extractor hasn't arrived yet but im sure it'll be way better than what i currently use which is nothing at all!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:56 pm 
Old School Chippie

psychonaut wrote:
thanks again. i probably could have saved some money but the difference between the kapex and the dewalt was a few hundred quid...

I was only referring to the extractors. However, since you've mentioned it I feel that the DWS780 and GCM12GDL (Glide) are direct competitors (along with the Milwaukee MS305DB) in the 12in/305mm heavy site saw market whereas the Kapex is more of a 10in/260mm saw competitor. So if you are comparing like capability with like you'd have to compare a Kapex to the deWalt DW717XPS, Makita LS1019, etc. In terms of 10in saws then the Kpex has some clear advantages, although the slightly flawed LS1019 is starting to look like the Japanese have learned from the Festoolians. I don't quite see the Kapex as being the sort of tool you'd want to throw in the back of the van at the end of a day spent cutting down roofing spars, but having used earlier deWalt 12in saws I have to say they are big and clumsy when it comes to installing stuff like trad. kitchens (BTW one of my mitre saws is a Kapex). Horses for courses!