DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Help please! And an apology for the length of post.

We moved into a 1970’s semi a year ago. No problems and settled down nicely.

One night our neighbour started banging on the wall for no reason; the next day he told us that when the heating is on it’s vibrates in his front room. The noise is unbearable.

Apparently this has been the case since a new boiler was fitted 4 years ago. (Previous owner had died so we had no knowledge of this before moving in)

It turns out that environmental health have been involved with this as a noise disruption and they confirm that it is noisy but won’t get involved any further.

We have a potterton gold combi he boiler, and to be honest if we are in the bathroom above the bolier we can hear a loud humming noise, as if the wall the boiler is fastened to has become an amplifier.

We have had 3 engineers round to check. All of them said the boiler is fine and actually quieter than most. They are stumped what to do.

The noise is present with both the heating or the hot water, so it’s not a radiator or a pipe. We have tried turning the pressure down and bleeding the system etc.

I would happily buy a new boiler but recon I would spend a load of money and be left with the same problem.

One more thing. The boiler is on an external wall the other side of the house far away from next door !!

Although he is a nightmare he isn’t making it up.

Any help please would be great

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 am 

The other guys may come up with other reasons for the noise but I'm thinking it may be a noisy pump resonating through the pipe work or the casing attached to the wall.
When the boilers on can you feel any excessive vibration on the return pipe going into the bottom of the boiler. It's the 22mm pipe entering the bottom of the boiler on the far right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 am 

These are one of the noisiest boilers on the market, other than that they were very good.

It must be transmitting some sound through the pipes to reach the other side of the house.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

We have moved, secured pipes etc. I have felt them when the system is on and they all vibrate a bit.

I spent a long time doing this before realising that the noise occurred with the heating or hot water independently. Does this hint that it’s not a pipe problem?

When I stand in the room above the boiler it does sound like a hairdryer on, or a car running outside.

Someone recommended removing the boiler and fixing a sound absorbing mount. I can’t seam to find anyone who makes these.

Strange thing is in the kitchen (where the boiler is) it’s quiet, what I would say is normal.

I fear we and the latest plumber to look at it are fixated on the wall bing the problem and missing something simple.

Driving me mad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am 
Newly registered Member

Have a look at the pump.
Is it adjustable? I had one that would cause noise and vibration (pump not boiler ) and changed the setting and it went quiet.

Or change pump if you are that worried.
Can only be a pump or valve creating the movement

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm 

Pump is not adjustable on these and unless you have a large house split into zones, you won’t have any zone valves either.

You have confused me as being a combi hot water is always independent/separate to the heating.

Is the sound worse when running a hot tap or when using the heating?

If when using the heating, is it worse first thing in the morning or when the house has warmed up?

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello. The house isn’t big enough for zones so doubt we have any.

I didnt really explain the heating / hot water bit very well sorry. I meant to say, the noise is present if you have the heating on only, or the hot water only. I think you have picked up on something though. It is slightly worse with the hot water on and when the heating comes on first thing when cold. Once it’s warmed up after 30 mins or so it gets quieter.

I can’t think of anything other than the pump/burner vibrating through the wall and then the wall booting the sound. Stand next to the boiler and it’s not very loud. Go upstairs and it’s pretty noisy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:38 pm 

Just to clarify, what do you mean by 'with the hot water on' - do you mean noisy when the hot water is turned-on/active or only when a hot tap is running?

Secondly, this hot-water only scenario is louder to you, but do you know if next door can also hear the hot water only, or is that just an assumption? (That may seem like a daft question, but next door will mostly be hearing transmitted vibration, whilst you will also hear directly radiated sound).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 pm 

If it is worse when your last post suggests, I would be looking at the fan, as this will be spinning a lot faster for HW and when the boiler comes on for heating first thing in the morning, then modulate down as the house warms up and the radiators needs less heating to keep hot.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Kev888 wrote:
Just to clarify, what do you mean by 'with the hot water on' - do you mean noisy when the hot water is turned-on/active or only when a hot tap is running?

Secondly, this hot-water only scenario is louder to you, but do you know if next door can also hear the hot water only, or is that just an assumption? (That may seem like a daft question, but next door will mostly be hearing transmitted vibration, whilst you will also hear directly radiated sound).

Thanks Kev. Yes it’s worse when the tap is on and the boiler is heating the water for the bath or shower etc. Only a bit, the same as when the heating has first come on.

I don’t really know what next door hears. He let one plumber in who told him it wasn’t that bad and I think he took it the wrong way. Won’t let anyone in now. I need to find a diplomat who can do plumbing, maybe Russia have a few spare !

I would imagine this is the norm for most boilers as they are working harder to give more heat. Why it should buzz away through the walls is a mystery.

We had it serviced last week. The engineer said it’s working perfectly, don’t think he could be bothered looking into it further, to be fair I can see why !

New boiler then maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

gas4you wrote:
If it is worse when your last post suggests, I would be looking at the fan, as this will be spinning a lot faster for HW and when the boiler comes on for heating first thing in the morning, then modulate down as the house warms up and the radiators needs less heating to keep hot.

Would do, makes sense. Is that something I can do myself? Think we are blacklist by the local plumbers!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:06 pm 

Unfortunately, technically no

www.drlgas.co.uk