DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am 

Has anyone used Zinsser’s Wallpaper Cover Up? Is it as good as it sounds?

A regular customer would like the final room in the house decorated. It is already wallpapered. The paper is about 15 years old. There are no signs of any lifting and all the seems are still stuck down and no overlaps can be felt.

He's already bought a tin of Wallpaper Cover Up and would prefer me to paint the walls rather than strip the existing wallpaper and hang lining paper.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:34 pm 

I've been wondering the same, got a job coming up in a few months where they want the paper left on and painted, I know it's not ideal doing it this way so would be interested to hear how this product performs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:22 pm 

Can I ask a silly question? Why do you need to use this? I’ve always just(wrongly obviously!) painted over paper that’s in good nick with no patterns or lifted edges with no problem. Did it last year in one of my boys rooms and it looks fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:34 pm 

I have always been reluctant to paint over old wallpaper in case it blisters and/or the seams lift, especially if the paper already has loose bits, lifting seams, or raised seams (overlaps). I have always told customers that and they have always agreed that the old paper should come off and lining paper hung. This customer spotted it and bought it and asked me if I thought it was any good. I explained that I hadn't used it before but he's happy for me to experiment with it!

The Zinsser website says: "Wallpaper Cover-Up is an all-in-one primer, sealer and stain blocker. A high hiding primer that obliterates wallpaper print with a smooth matt off-white finish. Can be used under any coloured emulsion. Zinsser’s Wallpaper Cover Up can be applied by either brush or roller (for best results use a short pile mohair or microfibre roller).
Unlike a regular emulsion which can cause wallpaper to bubble and blister, Zinsser’s Wallpaper Cover Up seals the wallpaper protecting it from the moisture in the paint and once dry, this one-coat system creates a new surface that’s easy to paint. Zinsser’s Wallpaper Cover Up also includes a stain blocker, seeping stains from smoke and damp residue are easily covered with no fear of re-emergence."

Despite it saying it has a full cure time of 4 hours, I'll probably paint it on and wait until the next day before painting on the first coat of emulsion. I'll report back!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:21 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Can I ask a silly question? Why do you need to use this? I’ve always just(wrongly obviously!) painted over paper that’s in good nick with no patterns or lifted edges with no problem. Did it last year in one of my boys rooms and it looks fine.

Sometimes emulsioning over old wallpaper can re-activate the paste and cause all sorts of problems like peeling and bubbling. (don't ask how I know :oops: ) seems you were lucky...and as a "pro deccy" you would want to ensure that you don't have these issues.

@ Tom'd, I think I would approach the customer and say "yes I'll use it, but if it doesn't work as it says on the tin, I won't be responsible for any remedial work"

Chances are, given it's a Zinsser product, it will do exactly what it should.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:02 pm 

wine~o wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Sometimes emulsioning over old wallpaper can re-activate the paste and cause all sorts of problems like peeling and bubbling. (don't ask how I know :oops: ) seems you were lucky...and as a "pro deccy" you would want to ensure that you don't have these issues.

@ Tom'd, I think I would approach the customer and say "yes I'll use it, but if it doesn't work as it says on the tin, I won't be responsible for any remedial work"

So the lining paper I’m putting up shouldn’t really be painted over without using the zinsser product?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:05 pm 

Nooo... not what I said at all.. new lining paper is fiiine to go straight over with emulsion, old dried out paste and paper is the issue,

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:34 pm 

Quote:
"yes I'll use it, but if it doesn't work as it says on the tin, I won't be responsible for any remedial work"

He actually said that to me - that I wouldn't be responsible, not him! - and said he would be happy to pay the extra if it doesn't work and I have to strip / line / paint.

Quote:

I said that to him, given my positive experiences with their other products.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve painted over a lot of wallpaper recently, some vinyl in a kitchen which was painted with Zinsser 123, then two top coats of Zinsser Perma white. I then had a house that I was selling and almost every room needed the wallpaper painting, I used Zinsser wallpaper coverup, then two coats of Crown emulsion and it worked a treat.
Another Zinsser product that really amazed me was Zinsser Gardz, when a room was stripped leaving the lining paper behind. The lining paper was not in a good state and was torn and bubbling in places, one coat of Gardz (looks like milk) and the next day I had a perfect canvas to paint onto ;-)

For this message the author ultimatehandyman has received thanks - 2: ian gibson, Tom d'Angler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51 pm 

I used this product this week and it is brilliant.

After putting on one coat, I painted the walls with two coats of emulsion and not one bit of wallpaper blistered or lifted. The pattern was showing slightly while the emulsion was drying but once it was dry you couldn't see any pattern at all. I highly recommend it.

The only thing I would suggest that differs from the instructions on the tin - it smells quite a bit, like their Cover Stain, so I wouldn't want to be in the room while it is drying and I certainly wouldn't want to stay in there to paint the first coat of emulsion on to the walls after the stated rec-oat time of 4 hours. Leave the room overnight so all the vapour goes away and you'll find there is no residual smell the next morning.

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received thanks - 2: ian gibson, ultimatehandyman