DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 am
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:59 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
On Monday I went to look at a job. My "local timewaster" radar was spinning madly.

They contacted me through Facebook and asked for a quote, but as I'd been recommended by a reliable customer I went and had a look.

When I got there the bloke was very cold. Didn't know what the hell I meant when I suggested lining a wall before painting it. Was more interested to know how many days it would take and when could I start.

Following day his wife was pushing me for the quote.

I had it in mind to be light on the quote and make sure I got the job, but then thought bugger it, and quoted at my normal rate. Do I really need to work cheaply to get jobs? No, and neither do I want to because it'll just lower the expectation for future quotes.

I was just thinking what a rubbish, unsupportive area I live in when my phone rang.

A genuine, regular and loyal customer. Gushing with friendliness and wanting to chat and catch up, as well as fill me in with a bit of gossip!

Lounge, 3 storey staircase and other bits and bobs to decorate for starters, and the external to paint during the summer, and he probably won't even ask for a price.

I think that if everyone was like the first customer in just looking for the cheapest job possible, I would pack it in and go and work for someone else.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : Tom d'Angler
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 3825
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 728 times
Been thanked: 803 times
fitzy wrote:
When I got there the bloke was very cold. Didn't know what the hell I meant when I suggested lining a wall before painting it. Was more interested to know how many days it would take and when could I start.

- Was he cold because the heating was off, but cold as in not having any social skills? :-)
- Sorry, I would not expect people to know what lining is unless they or someone they know had has it done. Good lining should not be seen ... etc :-)
- How many days, oooh, the more days the more you will charge, ooops tight, tighter than a duck's rear and that is water tight.

Quote:
Following day his wife was pushing me for the quote.

I had it in mind to be light on the quote and make sure I got the job, but then thought bugger it, and quoted at my normal rate. Do I really need to work cheaply to get jobs? No, and neither do I want to because it'll just lower the expectation for future quotes.
And? You have not heard back (yet)...

Your second customer knows what s/he wants and simply has to pay for it. They know roughly what it will cost them so they are content with themselves. I bet you, the wife is pushing the first guy to cough up for decorating, new carpet 'n all that :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2779
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 563 times
scare them with a strong quote that usual does it, I'm sure there get some quality chap from the Sheffield forum


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:08 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
OchAye wrote:
fitzy wrote:
When I got there the bloke was very cold. Didn't know what the hell I meant when I suggested lining a wall before painting it. Was more interested to know how many days it would take and when could I start.

- Was he cold because the heating was off, but cold as in not having any social skills? :-)
- Sorry, I would not expect people to know what lining is unless they or someone they know had has it done. Good lining should not be seen ... etc :-)
- How many days, oooh, the more days the more you will charge, ooops tight, tighter than a duck's rear and that is water tight.

Quote:
Following day his wife was pushing me for the quote.

I had it in mind to be light on the quote and make sure I got the job, but then thought bugger it, and quoted at my normal rate. Do I really need to work cheaply to get jobs? No, and neither do I want to because it'll just lower the expectation for future quotes.
And? You have not heard back (yet)...

Your second customer knows what s/he wants and simply has to pay for it. They know roughly what it will cost them so they are content with themselves. I bet you, the wife is pushing the first guy to cough up for decorating, new carpet 'n all that
No, I won't hear back. I'm all too used to it and sort of knew before I left the job.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Bob225 wrote:
scare them with a strong quote that usual does it, I'm sure there get some quality chap from the Sheffield forum
Sadly, that Sheffield forum mentality isn't specific to that area.

Lots of Yorkshire is like that, but with little pockets where people are a bit better off.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : Ktuludays
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:23 am
Posts: 653
Location: Dronfield
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 148 times
fitzy wrote:
Bob225 wrote:
scare them with a strong quote that usual does it, I'm sure there get some quality chap from the Sheffield forum
Sadly, that Sheffield forum mentality isn't specific to that area.

Lots of Yorkshire is like that, but with little pockets where people are a bit better off.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Totally agree, I live just outside sheffield and have seen lots of people with that mentality, luckily I live in one of the pockets you mentioned

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 2779
Location: Kent, Land of Apples and PYO
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 563 times
Oh ok, or is it a case of the more money they have the tighter they are

I think you get that sort of thing all over the country



For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : Ktuludays
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
Bob225 wrote:
Oh ok, or is it a case of the more money they have the tighter they are

I think you get that sort of thing all over the country
Not in my experience. It's not really about wealth, it's more about whether or not they've used a professional before and can differentiate between a bona fide tradesman and a bloke that slaps a bit of paint on.

If I was inviting someone into my house, of course price would be a consideration (you can only afford what you can afford) but I'd want someone that was recommended, good at their job, insured and trustworthy enough to have my keys while I was at work.

I have customers that aren't mega rich, but they get a price and then book me in at a later date when they've had chance to put a bit of money aside.

What the regular customers really like is that when rooms are decorated properly, they look good for years, especially with the waterbased trim paints staying sharp.

I have little doubt that the regulars that recommend us sing our praises and vouch for our skill and good character, but some still want all that for "two bob and a blackys egg".



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 415
Location: essex
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 96 times
"two bob and a blackys egg".

Whats a blackys egg? :dunno:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
adonis wrote:
"two bob and a blackys egg".

Whats a blackys egg? :dunno:
It's a local saying. Blackbirds egg.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



For this message the author fitzy has received thanks - 2: adonis, Dave54
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3643
Has thanked: 1131 times
Been thanked: 1050 times
adonis wrote:
"two bob and a blackys egg".

Whats a blackys egg? :dunno:


Dunno :dunno:

Something like the Black Country "tuppence and a big opple" i reckon. :mrgreen:

Funny thing about some quotes.

You know they're wasting your time.

They know they're wasting your time.

Spend time doing a quote. Send it off. You'll never hear from them again.

Don't do a quote and you'll get a call.

" :cussing: Where's my quote? It's been nearly two whole hours now! :cussing:

Spend time doing a quote. Send it off. You'll never hear from them again. :lol:



For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Ktuludays
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 415
Location: essex
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 96 times
It's a wonder the PC brigade hasn't made you change it to sparrows egg :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 3825
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 728 times
Been thanked: 803 times
adonis wrote:
It's a wonder the PC brigade hasn't made you change it to sparrows egg :roll:


"Black" is not a racist term.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 415
Location: essex
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 96 times
No but blacky could be, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/blacky

If it was two bob and a blackbirds egg no one would say anything, you know we get paranoid these days over what we can say or we have to go on a diversity training course. :angryfire:



For this message the author adonis has received gratitude : OchAye
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Strange day
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4131
Has thanked: 900 times
Been thanked: 764 times
adonis wrote:
No but blacky could be, http://www.dictionary.com/browse/blacky

If it was two bob and a blackbirds egg no one would say anything, you know we get paranoid these days over what we can say or we have to go on a diversity training course. :angryfire:
Definitely a blackies egg. As far as I know black people don't lay eggs. [WHITE SMILING FACE]



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO