Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:23 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

Evening all. This is my first post so bare with me...

I've recently had a fair bit of work done to my heating system which has resulted in massive amounts of air being drawn into the system through the open vent (only place this amount of air can come from I suppose?) When i say massive amounts of air I mean I have to bleed the upstairs radiators about 5 times a day for about 10 seconds at a time.

About the system. When I moved in the system consisted of a Greenstar Ri LPG boiler along with a solid fuel rayburn that I've never used. There are seven radiators in the house. If I wanted the heating on you'd have to turn on the hot water via the programmer which would do both hot water and heating. There were no 2 or three port valves or thermostats and there were two pumps, one on the flow next to the boiler downstairs and one in the airing cupboard upstairs. The rayburn and gas boiler were link with a dunsley baker neutraliser in the airing cupboard. Feed and Expansion tank in the loft directly above the airing cupboard.

I was getting fed up of the weird heating system so I asked a local plummer to try and make it "normal". He has sinced power flushed the system, disconnected the rayburn, removed the dunsley baker neutraliser, removed the pump upstairs, put in a room stat, stat on the hot water tank and two two port valves.

The system now works as it should, heating and hot water working independantly, switching off when the house is up to temp etc but the amount of air in the system is incredible. The plumber wants to convert it to a sealed system which i think is unnessasary as there was never an air problem before the work was done.
Sorry for the lengthy post! I've attached some pictures as I image its quite hard to picture the system.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

Pics don't show from this end. sorry.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : joepearce92
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
:welcomeuhm:

Pics don't show from this end. sorry.

Thanks for replying.

Hopefully this works

Attachments:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg [ 565.94 KiB | Viewed 675 times ]
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg [ 500.74 KiB | Viewed 675 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm 

1. What speed is the pump on?
2. What is the distance from top of bend of the vent pipe to the water level in the Feed & Expansion tank?
3. How deep is the water in the F&E tank when system is cold?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

D Hailsham wrote:
1. What speed is the pump on?
2. What is the distance from top of bend of the vent pipe to the water level in the Feed & Expansion tank?
3. How deep is the water in the F&E tank when system is cold?

Hi,

The pumps on three because it turns itself off alot if i turn it down. It's not actually over heating but it stops firing for a while then lights again a few minutes later.
The top of the vent is 34cm above the water level and the water is 12cm deep. Heatings been off for about two hours so its probably not completely cold.

Am i right in saying the feed and vent should be before the pump? The pump is currently right next to the boiler downstairs and the cold feed and vent pipe are joined into the pipe work in the airing cupboard upstairs.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 pm 

Ideally seal the system, so many advantages it’s not worth not doing. Is the pump on the flow or ret.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

salfordpaul wrote:
Ideally seal the system, so many advantages it’s not worth not doing. Is the pump on the flow or ret.

Thanks, that's what the plumber suggested. The pumps on the flow. It was pointing towards the boiler originally but was turned around when the system was changed. The boilers much quieter now!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 pm 

joepearce92 wrote:
The pumps on three because it turns itself off alot if i turn it down. It's not actually over heating but it stops firing for a while then lights again a few minutes later.
The top of the vent is 34cm above the water level and the water is 12cm deep. Heatings been off for about two hours so its probably not completely cold.

Am i right in saying the feed and vent should be before the pump? The pump is currently right next to the boiler downstairs and the cold feed and vent pipe are joined into the pipe work in the airing cupboard upstairs.

1. The top of the vent should be at least 45cm above the water level

2. The water level needs to be only 3cm above the ch cold feed pipe at the bottom of the tank. Adjust the ball valve so it opens before the feed pipe is exposed to the air

3. It the feed and vent pipes are after the pump, it has been wrongly piped.

4. With only seven rads, the pump should not need to be on 3.

5. If the pump was originally pointing toward the boiler it would have been on the return. I hope the installer transferred it to the flow as well as turning it round to point away from the boiler. Or did he swap flow and return at the boiler?

For this message the author D Hailsham has received gratitude : joepearce92
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

If its converted to a sealed system would that solve the problem as the F&E would be removed?

The pump was on the flow but pointing towards the boiler. I didn't think the system would even work with the pump that way around.

Would there be any issues when converting to sealed system?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm 

The only possible issue is water leaking from pipes, joints etc because the pressure is much higher on a sealed system. THis will depend on how old the components are and how well joints have been made. You could always ask the installer to carry out a pressure test before agreeing to the conversion.