Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:56 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Nest 3 and Intergas
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm 

I thought it may useful and helpful to others to start a new topic relevant to my recent experiences using a Nest 3 with my Intergas HRE 36/30 Combi boiler rather than adding to my previous threads.

‘Nest 3 and True Radiant Technology’ and ‘Nest 3 and Weather Sensor’

Just to recap.

Due to an intermittent faulty LCD screen on my trusty CM927 room stat I was forced to consider a suitable replacement.

I decided to try the Nest 3 and waited to see if there were any Black Friday deals. The best deal I could find was from my local Screw Fix and I managed to pick up the Nest 3 with its stand for £150.00. :-)

The next thing for me to consider was do I use TPI control or OpenTherm. I initially opted for TPI because I discussed the possibility of using OpenTherm several years ago on the forum but ran into a minefield of incompatibility problems with manufacture X’s stats not working with manufacture Y’s boilers etc. Also then, the general lack of support and the slow take up of OpenTherm technology in the UK put me off the idea.

After being reminded by Razor that Intergas has always been OpenTherm compatible and incompatibility problems were down to the stat manufactures not getting their act together I decided to take up his advice and connect it up for OpenTherm control.

I have to say that after getting used to the way OpenTherm works and the way it controls the boiler I am very pleased with the results. :thumbright:

As Razor pointed out it’s basically plug and play and a straight forward process.

You just connect the Opentherm OP1 and OP2 wires from the Heatlink to the OpenTherm pins 11 and 12 on connector block X4 in the Intergas Boiler.
Also, you remove the existing on/off room stat connections from pins 6 and 7 on connector block X4
In the Nest 3 Pro settings options page you change the boiler control from On/Off to Opentherm and set the max CH flow temp as required in my case I prefer 70c (default is 80c) You also have the option to specify the DHW max flow temperature if required.

I decided to switch out my Outdoor Weather sensor and rely on the Nest receiving my local weather via the internet. Although I understand from Razor that you can leave the outdoor weather sensor connected without causing any problems.

That’s all there is to it and it and it works fine. :thumbright:

The differences I have noticed are that after many years of getting used to TPI control, where the boiler fires up with on/off sequences several times per hour, with OpenTherm the boiler fires for longer periods of time but with lower flow temperatures.

It’s a bit disconcerting at first to see the boiler on for so long so I carried out some tests throughout the day to see what was happening. I found that first thing in the morning when there’s a need to raise the room temperature by several deg and its <0c outside the flow temp slowly ramps up to 65-70c. When the room temperature gets to about 1.5deg of stat target temp the flow temp slowly comes down until about 0.5deg of stat target temp then it varies from 34c – 44c until the stat target temp is met. Most of the time the return temps to the boiler are < 50c

Also, I have found that when the Nest is calling for heat it doesn’t necessarily mean that the boiler is firing up and burning gas. What happens is that if there is a request for a lower flow temp and the water temp is above the requested temp the pump continues to run until the requested flow temp is achieved, and then the boiler fires up if needed.

In my experience you get a more controlled and comfortable heat transfer into the room.

Hope the information is useful to others in confirming that OpenTherm and Intergas works very well together. :-)

As always, thanks Razor for all your help and advice. :salute:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author PLB has received gratitude : ericmark
 Post subject: Re: Nest 3 and Intergas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:01 am 
Newly registered Member

That was very helpful, I too bought a Nest (BFD Screwfix), though it was a excellent deal.

I will be using that & the OpenTherm for the new Intergas boiler I'm having put it - glad to hear it works really well.

Cheers, :salute:

Post subject: Re: Nest 3 and Intergas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 pm 

mani3 wrote:
That was very helpful, I too bought a Nest (BFD Screwfix), though it was a excellent deal.

I will be using that & the OpenTherm for the new Intergas boiler I'm having put it - glad to hear it works really well.

Cheers, :salute:

Thanks, pleased to hear that the information was helpful. :thumbright:
You have made a good choice in choosing Intergas, I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Also, you will find lots of information regarding Intergas on the forum and helpful advice from the guys.
I hope he doesn't mind me saying this but Razor is our Intergas guru but I think you may already know that. :wink: :-)