DIY Forum

 

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:47 pm
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 40
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 times
I've got the lay about 15m of RGBW LED strips that are controlled using a Fibaro RGBW controller.

I want these to be able to do a 'hard turn off' at the light switch, so the question is how exactly do the LED strips go about being wired in, assuming I can't just use 1 transformer to power the whole 15m.

Do I have to put transformers every X meters to 'boost' the led strip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:10 pm 
Online
Pro Carpenter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 20858
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 696 times
Been thanked: 2002 times
they tend to be a 6amp 12v for every 5m assuming 50/50

_________________
we are all ------------------still learning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:18 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8129
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 1382 times
If you want to "hard turn off" via a light switch the the driver / power supply will need to be connected to the light switch. (Where the existing light is)


Some things to note:

You will need to have a driver / power supply "bigger" than your RGB strip will need. So for example if your RGB strip uses 15Watts / metre* you will need a power supply that can supply (15watts x 15metres) 225 watts MINIMUM so one that is 250 watts is fine.

You will need to check with the supplier of the RGB tape how much it actually requires, guess, get it wrong = waste of money.

The power supply / driver must be the same voltage as the LED strip (Probably 12v, but may be 5v)

Because you are using a RGB controller you can not easily "add" power further down the strip (If you were to try, you could not control the colours as you would be by-passing the RGB controller) So I would suggest you ask where you are buying the controller from how many metres can that controller control?
(There is a problem to do with voltage drop, you may have too much RGB tape, hence ask the RGB tape supplier how many metres you can have. It would be great if you posted their reply here :thumbleft: )

Just wondering. If you do as you ask, and turn the supply to the RGB controller off, will you have to re learn it? (I really don't know)

_________________
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here



For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Evostance
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:45 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 40
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 times
someone-else wrote:
If you want to "hard turn off" via a light switch the the driver / power supply will need to be connected to the light switch. (Where the existing light is)


Some things to note:

You will need to have a driver / power supply "bigger" than your RGB strip will need. So for example if your RGB strip uses 15Watts / metre* you will need a power supply that can supply (15watts x 15metres) 225 watts MINIMUM so one that is 250 watts is fine.

You will need to check with the supplier of the RGB tape how much it actually requires, guess, get it wrong = waste of money.

The power supply / driver must be the same voltage as the LED strip (Probably 12v, but may be 5v)

Because you are using a RGB controller you can not easily "add" power further down the strip (If you were to try, you could not control the colours as you would be by-passing the RGB controller) So I would suggest you ask where you are buying the controller from how many metres can that controller control?
(There is a problem to do with voltage drop, you may have too much RGB tape, hence ask the RGB tape supplier how many metres you can have. It would be great if you posted their reply here :thumbleft: )

Just wondering. If you do as you ask, and turn the supply to the RGB controller off, will you have to re learn it? (I really don't know)


Thanks. Interestingly, I just found a diagram on how to wire them correctly:

Image
Image

It would seem for these LEDs, the maximum length is 6m. Rather than power boost them every 6m, you have send the power through the controller like you mentioned, but split it after the controller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8129
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 1382 times
You will still need a power supply that is bigger than the total of your 15m LED strip. It would also be a good idea to check if your controller can carry the amount of current required. The reason I mention it, is I have a controller sitting next to me now and it can only carry 6A, where as the ones I normally have can carry 15A


This one can only carry 6A (And is operated by a hand held remote control)

Attachment:
ct1.jpg
ct1.jpg [ 129.49 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]



This one can carry 15A (And is operated by DMX)

Attachment:
ct2.jpg
ct2.jpg [ 51.46 KiB | Viewed 497 times ]


_____________________________________________________________________________

As a matter of interest, I would opt to connect your strip the way its done in the 2nd drawing. As you will have 15m of strip I would also suggest you connect it as 3 strips of 5m (if you can) That way you will get an even colour distribution. (The LED strip itself has resistance) The longer it is the higher the resistance, which is why they say a max run of 6m, any longer and the further from the supply the more red the LEDs will be (Red LEDS need less current than any other colour)

_________________
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 40
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 times
someone-else wrote:
You will still need a power supply that is bigger than the total of your 15m LED strip. It would also be a good idea to check if your controller can carry the amount of current required. The reason I mention it, is I have a controller sitting next to me now and it can only carry 6A, where as the ones I normally have can carry 15A


This one can only carry 6A (And is operated by a hand held remote control)

Attachment:
ct1.jpg



This one can carry 15A (And is operated by DMX)

Attachment:
ct2.jpg


_____________________________________________________________________________

As a matter of interest, I would opt to connect your strip the way its done in the 2nd drawing. As you will have 15m of strip I would also suggest you connect it as 3 strips of 5m (if you can) That way you will get an even colour distribution. (The LED strip itself has resistance) The longer it is the higher the resistance, which is why they say a max run of 6m, any longer and the further from the supply the more red the LEDs will be (Red LEDS need less current than any other colour)
Ah that's a good point. I've emailed a few LED supplier's who should be able to advise and give me a suitable domestic installation rather than DIY eBay jobs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:14 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8129
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 1382 times
Nothing wrong with ebay, where do you suppose most (if not all) UK suppliers get theirs from? (same maker as those who sell on ebay do)

Like I said, wire it as the 2nd drawing, use the controller you linked to and a bigger power supply than you need, jobs a good un. (as they say)

_________________
Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: LED strip powering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 pm
Posts: 40
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 times
someone-else wrote:
Nothing wrong with ebay, where do you suppose most (if not all) UK suppliers get theirs from? (same maker as those who sell on ebay do)

Like I said, wire it as the 2nd drawing, use the controller you linked to and a bigger power supply than you need, jobs a good un. (as they say)


Only reason I say about eBay is that i've have 8x 5m strips from there, some RGB some RGBW and some white. The white colour reproduction is terrible on some of them - its a greeny colour, others have died and the ones I have now keep flickering randomly


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

 

 




Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO