A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Heating system issues
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all assistance required please.
During the past couple of weeks I have removed a couple of radiators to decorate, the radiators have now been replaced but I’m now having problems with the heating system.
The radiators up stairs are working (not totally hot but enough)
None of the rads down stairs are working.
I have assumed there is an air lock in the system.
When bleeding the t.v.r side the rad gets warm, shut that down and bleed the lock valve side but rad doesn’t stay warm,
What I’m I doing wrong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Did you get a resolution to your problem ? what was it ? :hello2:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:15 am 

There are many reasons why you may have a problem, but the first is the water takes the easy route which in most houses starts at the upstairs radiator nearest to the boiler, with TRV fitted the system can end up heating the rooms in sequence as long as no wall thermostat is used, as each room heats the TRV closes and it forces water through the next easiest room. If the house is warm you may not even notice what is going on, only when heating from cold does it come apparent.

The adjustment of lock shield valves can stop this, and with all TRV wide open we are told we should measure the temperature drop across each radiator however that is rather long winded, if correctly installed with a by-pass valve easy method is to close down all radiators then slowly open one at a time until you feel some warmth on the supply pipe, I will normally open 1/4 turn at a time with a couple of minutes between each adjustment, once you have done a couple of valves you will get to know how much to open, this means on start up every radiator gets hot water rather than in sequence.

In your case a quick cure rather than go and set all the lock shield valves is to turn off the TRV on every working radiator, this will mean extra pressure to start flow on the non working ones, once water has started to flow then you can open them again. Better if you note setting, but likely the lock shield valves on the other radiators do need setting.

Other problems could be pump not running, often upstairs radiators will work with thermo syphon even with pump off, and if OK turning up pump speed for a short time may help getting things started.

Radiators have both feed and return, if either is blocked you can still bleed and you will get hot when bleeding, but it will not continue to work, so also look for valves either manual or motorised which may be switched off, my sisters central heating had blocked pipes, I had to use quite high pressure to shift the blockage so disturbing radiators could have caused dirt to shift blocking a pipe.