DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:32 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:14 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys,

Following recent roofing work I am trying to tackle a few of the other issues with our house exterior while I have scaffold access. I have noticed the large timber which has a decorative moulding across the gable roof (unsure of technical name for this) has deteriorated significantly on the right hand side.. I can literally break the timber away with my fingers. This is a Victorian semi which has had minimal maintenance over the years. If I can remove all the rotten timber I am wondering what the process would be to build this back and reinstate a smooth sound face surface to this timber to be repainted?

There is also rotten timber under the shared lead basin that directs rainwater from both gable roofs to a shared lead downpipe in the centre of this basin. This timber is exposed and as can be seen in photos has been allowed to deteriorate significantly. Please let me know what the process to sure this up would be.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 126.87 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

Attachment:
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 128.7 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm 

First pic looks like *Fascia Board*, on a gable end it would be called a *Barge Board*.

Can't make out much, really need a wider angle pic of both situations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:21 pm 

I can't make out what I'm looking at in the second picture and the timber in the first looks to me to be horizontal rather than a barge board which follows the slope of the roof. Possibly runs between the barges as a tie but as ayjay says a picture from a little farther back would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys,.. Sorry I will try and get out on the scaffold tomorrow and take some better photos.. I was trying to show the damage which wasn't as obvious from a wider angle.
The timber is horizontal and runs between the two corners of the slopes of the gable roof. Here's a screenshot of our gable roof from google maps to show damaged areas. Thanks

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 17.23.49.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 17.23.49.jpg [ 361.37 KiB | Viewed 602 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 am 

Even though I still can't really see exactly what you have in the first picture it seems to be a small lead bay and it's probably started to rot because the lead has failed although it could just be badly done .It's a relatively easy job to take out and replace and it looks to be fairly localised and not spread . Replace timbers with new treated timber and replace the lead if that's not in good nick . Wear a mask to prevent breathing in the lead sugar that normally forms on the underside. When replacing the lead it can be a good idea to put in a sacrificial piece which is simply a second layer to catch the drips off the tiles. Rainwater off the roof will inevitably contain dirt and grit which over time will erode what it falls onto , a sacrificial cloak isn't normally fixed so it can be moved about to extend its life as much as possible and it will wear rather than the sides or bottom of the bay.
The timber in the second picture could do with an in person examination. Replacement might very well be the best option but the operation will depend upon just how the roof is constructed. It looks a fairly substantial timber to be decorative so you may need support before you can remove the rotten one. Alternatively it could be feasible to cut off the surface and splice in a new face depending upon how deep the rot has gone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

i can only tell you how i do such things.
the long beam an maybe cover trim piece at the base of the pediment should all come out an be replaced withsound treated wood.
after pulling it you might find further damagebelow ans behind the plate.

the small lead flat must be lifted and the bottom course or two of tiles(some of the tiles look shot)removed to give access and expose any further wet rot damage. the boards below the lead are shot. you dont need any masks or sacrificil piece, just a one piece of code4 sheet leadfor the flat and to make a drip down into hopper or chute or even a gutter.

post pics of the rh side and how its coming off the roof.youve got 2 valleys discharging onto the flat. do you or your neigbours have damp inside?why not crawl into the loft an examine from inside?

the rh side barge is running long, its sort of weird looking. examing the barge boards esp the tails forwet rot
at any rate thats how i'd do it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 pm 

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill, its decorative timber and its rotten, false economy to fill and patch rip it out and renew.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

You could replace it with 'tudor board' and not have to ever paint it again.
https://www.fasciaexpert.co.uk/upvc-tudor-board