Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Hive..... VFM?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 pm 

Has anyone worked out the pay-back time (in terms of energy saved) for the installation of a Hive system?

I've read of £180 to £250 to fit the Hive system but surely the cost savings over a standard 'timed' heating system is such that it would take 'years' (decades?) to recoup the cost? Even if you operate it via an app surely you're paying for the call too?

Has anyone done the numbers to see what the break-even point is?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Hive..... VFM?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:09 pm 

You can't say that. :lol: look at all those people who have spent all that money on a gadget that they saw a penguin use on TV (so if a penguin can do it.........Not to mention the penguin isn't real :shock: )

Yes a hive stat is supposed to be able to learn (I don't know if it does or doesn't) but I believe you raise a very good point, a timer set to the right time will work just as well, or for little £ its possible to do what we have, when we come home the central heating raises its temperature to what ever its set for, like wise when we go out, it turns down, and if it gets too warm when we are in............we get up and turn the stat down.

I think its to do with the "must have" gadgets and gizmos. I admit I have an Amazon echo dot, its a gizmo but useful. (I find myself watching TV and seeing an old film / tv prog and asking about a specific actor eg. Ronnie Barker died Monday 3 October 2005, Ronnie Corbett died Thursday 31 March 2016 (morbid but true)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm 

according to the current chancellor of the exchequer (sp ?) 2031.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:13 pm 

As per the wifi lights and other hive threads, Is there any point to a hive system, it just seems a gimmick to me - 5-10 years down the line when its no longer supported as the technology has moved on what do you do - rip it out and start again

imho spend the money on a boiler that's more efficient or service your current system

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm 

I haven't the patience to mess around with a Hive. As I have said many times on here I leave our heating on 24/7 and simply twiddle the old hard wired Honeywell thermostat to adjust the temperature at night or when we go out by a degree or so. This is so simple and it works for us. I have always believed that leaving the heating on in this way was better than a lot of on/off burns warming up and cooling down programmed in. Our bills have been pretty constant over the years too.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

i think marketing has a lot to do with the idea of a "must have " gadgets. One day we seem to have convinced ourselves we need these things. Our house must be at a perfect 22degs (or whatever) and mustn't can't drop even a degree for a second.

Yet walk out the door to the supermarket and we are in -5 to 30 degs depending on time of year. No Hive on the street.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:30 pm 

Internet enabled thermostats are not about saving money they are purely there for comfort.

However nowadays we are not limited to the old fashioned on/off thermostat - going for a TPI or modulating thermostat could save on 99% of peoples heating bill compared to what they have now :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 pm 

We have got a programmable thermostat, never use it like that, when it's cold we turn it up, when we are warm we turn it off. If we are just a bit chilly in one room we use a blanket, a jumper or use a little space heater. Fancy app based thermostat would be pointless for us really. I hate being cold but I hate being stuffy too, its 18 in the room i am in now, I wouldn't turn the heating on until it dropped below 16.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
I hate being cold but I hate being stuffy too, its 18 in the room i am in now, I wouldn't turn the heating on until it dropped below 16.

That sounds like my wife's usual unfathomable approach: I just leave it to the thermostat, the heating is "on" permanently (albeit on a timed basis) and when the thermostat calls for heat, then the heating is really on.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? :scratch:

I'm not interested in Hive stuff either, I just don't see any benefits to it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:33 am 

The problem is living in the southwest the weather changes so much and our activities vary too much for a thermostat to really cope, even a smart thermostat would not be able to "learn" what works best.
We spend a lot of time out either working, in the workshop, walking etc. When we are home we rarely spend much time sitting on our asses. Also we are tight as a ducks ass when it comes to spending money :lol:

It may not work for others but for us it does.