DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 pm 

Public Information Bulletin - no allegiance to the supplier/source.

I recently discovered this product by accident, thought I'd give it a go, and been very pleased with the outcome.

This is a light switch (a plug adaptor also available) that is activated by a wireless (and power-free) wall mounted unit.

The unit is the same size (approximately) as a normal UK 1g light switch, smart & gloss white - available in 1g, 2g & 3g. It can either be fixed straight to any flat surface (stick it to a window or mirror) or with an adaptor plate to prevent distortion, over the top of an existing back box. No wiring is needed here, do away with any existing t&e.

So, this switch uses kinetic energy to send a signal to a receiver. Amongst other advantages, because there is no wiring, you can either, for instance, convert a 1 gang wall plate to operate up to three lights instead, or, put a wall plate in a bathroom without contravening regulations. Unlike other remote switches it does not require little batteries to go flat (as per my previous experiment). It seems to have a very good range.

The receiver is available either single or dual - dual saves expense if you are operating two light fittings fairly close to each other.

In my case scenario I had two issues to solve:

1) An old cottage kitchen had a single light switch to the original ceiling fitting. With this system I was able to replace the light switch (disconnecting the t&e behind it) with a 3g Quinetic unit without having to chase out cables. From the same point on the wall I could then operate (i) central spotlights (ii) under cabinet & cooker hood lights (iii) over cabinet lights, separately.

2) In the same building I did away with the single bathroom ceiling pull-cord & glued to the new wetwall laminate lining a Quinetic switch to operate (i) Manrose shower light/timed extractor fan (ii) over basin ceiling spot (iii) illuminated mirror, separately.

In the loft I picked up from the lighting circuit to connect the Quinetic receivers - three duals as the rooms were adjacent - and of course I used Wago's and wagoboxes, simples.

So, you then follow the connection / 'tuning' procedure to make each switch do what you want it to do and, afaiaw, this will last forever. I am given to understand that you can also have multiple switches to operate the same receiver (untested) which would mean that you could have not only two-way and intermediate switching but in fact more than that - a light (or socket) controlled from several locations.

You may be able to infer that I am very imprressed. I haven't tried the switchable socket setup, but hope that the range will be expanded as it becomes known.

I think you can only get them from TLC:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Quinetic/index.html

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:42 pm 

Quinetic (kinetic) seems to be just a brand name but those switches are available under a variety of other names.

Example

(Not to mention TLC are + VAT + Postage :angryfire: )

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 pm 

Granted, didn't know that, just a question of pricing then. Still think it's a great innovation (for my project, at least).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm 

someone-else wrote:
(Not to mention TLC are + VAT + Postage :angryfire: )

TLC are a trade outlet. Why wouldn't they price ex VAT ???

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 pm 

wine~o wrote:
TLC are a trade outlet. Why wouldn't they price ex VAT ???

That is not my point. My point being that you look at the TLC site and think great price, you then find out / realise / remember its + postage + VAT (even if you visit a store you still have to pay the VAT)
Some websites offer an option of with or without VAT to be displayed. Its the VAT bit I don't like.

Good idea about the actual switches though.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:01 am 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
Its the VAT bit I don't like.

I don't think any one likes VAT :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 am 

Unfortunately a fact of life for nearly 45 years which for most new retirees is their entire working lives. And before that we had Purchase Tax.

VAT was introduced as a consequence of joining the EU so with Brexit, perhaps they'll do away with it!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:25 am 

arco_iris wrote:
VAT was introduced as a consequence of joining the EU so with Brexit, perhaps they'll do away with it!!! :lol:

Now that's a good idea.