DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:31 am 

Coming home in the dark the other evening, I noticed someone had lights embedded in the surface of their drive, not the solar powered once, but proper little LED ones.

Got me thinking that on my never ending to-do list of jobs around the house, redoing our drive has been bobbing about for a bit. No doubt surface when SWMBO decides what is to be done in what order.

It had crossed my mind to put some sort of low power lighting in place since SWMBO has a habit of thinking her car is far wider than it is, so some light activated lights might encourage her to park more tidily.

So, working on the assumption that there would be say 10 LED lights, perhaps 2W, 12V rather than 240ac, and they'd be connected via suitable buried cables, what's the best way of connecting them up to the mains?

Would I be allowed to put the LED driver in the porch, perhaps plugged into the existing RCD socket?

If they turn out to be 240ac, can I just plug them in in the porch or do I have to think about a dedicated spur from the ring final, or even a dedicated line from the consumer unit?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 am 

Its really up to you, as in which lights you choose to use. So if they are 240 v then you need to use something like SWA cable (Or you may get away with conduit running down the side of said path, and T'ing off for each light)

But if you used 12v lights you could just bury the cable (Not saying its a good idea though)

Bear in mind what ever you do, at some time some thing will fail, and it should ideally be easy to access / replace it. You can't do that if its directly buried.

The "lights in my garden" are supplied via a cable which runs through ducting to a "distribution box" just as well as I had two power supplies "fail" (info in my "I want to scream" post) My point being if the cables were not in ducting etc, I would no doubt still be trying to dig them out this week to fix.

The other day I was looking at some in ground lights (Just walking by, nothing to do with me) and I noticed most were filling with condensation.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here