DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm 

Mrs d'A and I just decorated a bedroom and a hall, stairs, and landing. Both rooms were recently plastered. It included the ceilings, walls, 18 door sides, skirtings, and usual stair woodwork and we did it in 5 days, so 10 days' labour. Mind you, we don't hang around; we start at 8:30 sharp and don't stop for tea breaks or lunch, and we don't answer our phones while we are working. Having said that, we are always finished by 3pm, if not before. (We finished at 11am on the last day!)

To me, 15 days seems a bit high, but at the top end of the quote - £1970 - it only works out to £131 per man per day, if they take 5 days. Mrs d'A and I charge £170 a day and we are in the Midlands. London prices are usually, naturally, higher than out in the sticks. Does the quoted price include any of the materials? If it does, then it is very cheap.

You say the property is in London so there might be more humping of gear if they can't park right outside, and we were lucky because our customer was away on holiday so we could leave all our gear and dustsheets in situ every day, so that saved us quite a bit of time. Also, three blokes in one bedroom and one hall, stairs and landing, will take more total hours than two blokes doing in because three blokes will be tripping over each other a bit, so that will slow them down. Plus, most tradesmen take an hour or more during a "working" day to drink tea, smoke fags, each lunch, and, the worst offence of all, answering their phones.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:25 pm 

I've never heard such rubbish in my life "most tradesmen take an hour or more during a "working" day to drink tea, smoke fags, each lunch, and, the worst offence of all, answering their phones"..i start work at 8 am even earlier when the customer is away or it's an empty property..i hardly stop for any breaks either as i work on my own...If you work for a large firm then they will stop for a tea break at 10 am & 1/2 hour for lunch at 1pm.

For this message the author dubman2 has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm 

To be fair I've seen painters who were contractors take 30 minutes at 10.00 then get up and have a fag outside immediately after. 1 hour at lunch time, again followed by a fag outside. And then another tea and fag break in the afternoon.

I guess like most trades there's a mixed bag.

I start at 8.30, tea break around 10.30 (5 minutes), lunch for an hour at 12.30, and another 5 minutes mid afternoon.

I don't think it's unreasonable, I work for myself and this is my package. My day rate reflects that. Never had any complaints.

Life's too short to purely blow out your behind all day.

People always look at the finish of the job, never how long it takes.

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm 
Elephant Man

Are we serouisly discussing tea breaks and phone calls? :sad:

These are utterly irrelevant in the context of the OP's original question. None of us have seen the job, the amount of prep, access, parking etc etc. This is all ballpark, and given the normal variables involved, other quotes need to be obtained to gain a clearer picture. :salute:

Just make sure the specification is the same on each quote, so that everyone is singing from the same book.

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm 

Desmondo15 wrote:
To be fair I've seen painters who were contractors take 30 minutes at 10.00 then get up and have a fag outside immediately after. 1 hour at lunch time, again followed by a fag outside. And then another tea and fag break in the afternoon.

I guess like most trades there's a mixed bag.

I start at 8.30, tea break around 10.30 (5 minutes), lunch for an hour at 12.30, and another 5 minutes mid afternoon.

I don't think it's unreasonable, I work for myself and this is my package. My day rate reflects that. Never had any complaints.

Life's too short to purely blow out your behind all day.

People always look at the finish of the job, never how long it takes.
I've got two lads in over the weekend. They'll start at 8. Half hour at 12.30 for lunch and 10 minutes in afternoon.

. These guys aren't pack horses, they're skilled, trained guys.

As long as they get done what I ask they can play candy crush for me.

As you say, wrong to paint all painters with the same brush, or so to speak! [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

For this message the author fitzy has received thanks - 2: Desmondo15, dynamod
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm 

Quote:
I've never heard such rubbish in my life

Then you haven't seen some of the tradesmen I have seen. They often roll up late, do half an hour's work, sit in the van having a fag and a cup of tea, then stop at 10:30 for their breakfast for half an hour, then another cup of tea and a fag around 12, then 45 minutes for lunch at 1:00, then another two tea and fag breaks during the afternoon. Not only that, they often spend a good deal of time talking to people who call them on their phone. I kid you not. One bloke who was supposed to be fitting a kitchen for a customer (while I was paint the dining room) accepted five phone calls between turning up at 9:30 and going for his "breakfast" at 10:30. He did less than 20 minutes of actual work before going off for half an hour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm 

dynamod wrote:
Are we serouisly discussing tea breaks and phone calls? :sad:

These are utterly irrelevant in the context of the OP's original question. None of us have seen the job, the amount of prep, access, parking etc etc. This is all ballpark, and given the normal variables involved, other quotes need to be obtained to gain a clearer picture. :salute:

Just make sure the specification is the same on each quote, so that everyone is singing from the same book.

Sorry Dyna got side tracked, I'm having an extra long tea break mate to celebrate

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm 
Elephant Man

:lol:

Like yer style :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 pm 

Tom d'Angler wrote:
Quote:
I've never heard such rubbish in my life

Then you haven't seen some of the tradesmen I have seen. They often roll up late, do half an hour's work, sit in the van having a fag and a cup of tea, then stop at 10:30 for their breakfast for half an hour, then another cup of tea and a fag around 12, then 45 minutes for lunch at 1:00, then another two tea and fag breaks during the afternoon. Not only that, they often spend a good deal of time talking to people who call them on their phone. I kid you not. One bloke who was supposed to be fitting a kitchen for a customer (while I was paint the dining room) accepted five phone calls between turning up at 9:30 and going for his "breakfast" at 10:30. He did less than 20 minutes of actual work before going off for half an hour.
Shouldn't you be cracking on with your own work rather than timing other people?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm 

Quote:
As you say, wrong to paint all painters with the same brush, or so to speak!

I didn't say all, I said most. and from what I have seen, it is most.

Personally speaking, I would rather crack on with the job and finish by 3.00 Some of the tradesmen I have seen are at the job until 5:00 but they could have finished by 3:00 if they didn't take as much time over their breaks. As I said above, the biggest "offence" in a customer's eyes is the amount of time some tradesmen spend on their phones talking to people while they are supposed to be working for the person who is actually paying them. I have several testimonials from customers that include a phrase that compliments me on the fact that I didn't answer my phone all the time while working for them. I have a lot more testimonials saying that I turned up on time and work non-stop to get the job done. None of them have complained that I was finished by 3:00 because they could see how much I achieved in that time.

I expect most of the tradesmen on UHM aren't like that because we are here to learn and / or pass on our experiences to other people, so that puts us a cut above the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 pm 

Quote:
Shouldn't you be cracking on with your own work rather than timing other people?

Nobody is "timing" anyone, but when you are working in a house and another tradesman turns up, it is easy to see what time they come and go and what they do or don't put into a "day's work".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

Quote:
Are we serouisly discussing tea breaks and phone calls? These are utterly irrelevant in the context of the OP's original question.

Not really as my point explains why some tradesmen will take five days to a job whereas others take only four.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:44 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Split from the original thread as going seriously off topic.

For this message the author moderator2 has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm 

:thumbright:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:52 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Tom d'Angler wrote:
:thumbright:

I've also posted back the first couple of paragraphs of your post to the original thread Tom D, but without the contention of tea breaks etc.

For this message the author moderator2 has received gratitude : Tom d'Angler