Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am 
Newly registered Member

We have quite an old back boiler, the make is 'New World' and apparently the particular model we have ceased production in 1972, we rarely get any problems with it but a couple of days ago it just stopped firing up. The pilot light is there and the gas fire works so the gas supply is ok.
The system incorporates two zone valves (one for hot water and one for central heating).
When the room stat clicks the heating zone valve opens and activates the pump but the boiler doesn't fire up. When the hot water stat clicks the hot water zone valve opens and activates the pump but the boiler doesn't fire up.
From doing a bit of research and talking to a few people it seems that the thermocouple is the most likely culprit but possibly the gas valve.
If the thermocouple was faulty would that explain the situation I have with the pilot light being present but the boiler not fully firing up or would I have no flame at all if the thermocouple was faulty?
I have found a photo of one of these boilers online to give a clearer understanding of what it is.

Attachments:
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG [ 50.8 KiB | Viewed 456 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 am 

Can't give detailed advice on gas matters I'm afraid, but its not the thermocouple.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Ok thanks, do you think the problem is something that could be repaired on such an old boiler? The last problem we had was with a zone valve for the hot water just over a year ago, we were quoted about £350 to have the system drained and a new valve installed and also had the office of the company the engineer worked for phoning us up to see if they could arrange to come round and quote for a combi boiler installation which we don't really want. In the end one of the maintenance electricians from where i work came round and fitted and wired in just the motorised head part of the valve, only cost me £60 and it still works now.
I don't want to be talked into paying around £4K to have a combi boiler installed if somebody sees a chance to make some money just by telling us that the parts are obsolete or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:21 am 

The fact is that old boiler is a false economy. It is testament to the simplicity and robust construction that has seen it give so many years of service. You are living on borrowed time though and sooner or later it will fail and you will be forced to take a deal for a boiler exchange that might not be the best for you.

It has to be said that a condensing boiler will be far more efficient than your 1968 back boiler and it will make good savings on gas that theoretically could pay for itself over a few years. When my boiler was changed in 2008 my gas standing order dropped from £100 a month to £60 and it is still that amount now. Our heating is on 24/7 during the winter months. A lot of A line boilers carry an 8 year warranty these days too.

I think it would be good advice to get some quotes now for a replacement boiler whilst you are in a position to choose the best deal for you and not under pressure.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Dickie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:49 pm 

:withstupid:

I would seriously doubt any parts are still available for this boiler.

Get someone recommended by a friend or colleague to come round to quote for a new boiler.

www.drlgas.co.uk