Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Newly registered Member

Been thinking about buying my Dad an All in One Desktop PC to replace his old slow Desktop PC tower.
The one I have been looking at is an Acer C20 - 720 but I would like to know if it is possible to connect the external speakers he currently uses on his tower PC to one of these all in one PC's so he can watch music videos.
I have tried researching online but can't find a definite answer and also went into my local Currys/PC World but the assistant I spoke to seemed to be absolutely clueless as he told me the the good thing about All in One's is that you can connect external speakers to them whereas you can't connect them to a tower PC. Obviously that statement is wrong so any any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am 

Looking at an image of one on the net there's a small round socket which looks like it will take a jack plug, best bet is to go and look at one in the flesh, or talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Attachment:
computer.jpg
computer.jpg [ 8.13 KiB | Viewed 1131 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 am 

yes you can, its in the manual

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/s ... ct/6954;-;

manuals are listed under the documents tab

If your set on a all in on look at Lenovo your get a better spec for the money and a better build quality

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
I did see the Lenovo ones on the PC World website and in store but being a bit of a technophobe I just didn't really consider buying one simply because I had never heard of them before but I will give them a closer look now.
The reason I was going to go for an all in one is because there is so many different tower units available and I don't really understand the difference between them all so I thought I'd just get him an all in one and have less cables lying around and free up some space.
Would I be better off buying another tower to replace the old one? And if so do you have any recommendations of an 'off the shelf' one I could buy?
He only really uses it for general internet surfing, online banking, watching YouTube music videos and occasionally Microsoft word. Never plays games and isn't into photography so doesn't need to store photos on it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 am 

Any computer/all in one/laptop will have a headphone socket, which takes a 3.5mm stereo jack. This is the kind of cable you need (and this particular one is a fairly good choice, and I own a couple -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm- ... B01KGI8VJM

Depending on what speakers you have you either just plug the 2 phono plugs into the back of one (if they are active, meaning they have an amplifier built in) or of they are passive you plug them into an input on your amp.
If you need more help just ask !

As for buying a tower or otherwise, the starting point is budget and available space - towers are big-ish but can be made to suit and altered/upgraded if needed, all in ones are less flexible and if one part goes wrong you may have to bin it (very basically)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 am 

From what you say, even the most basic machine will do.

https://www.ebuyer.com/760712-refurbish ... -160-w7pro

https://www.ebuyer.com/744770-refurbish ... 250-w10pro

https://www.ebuyer.com/808531-lenovo-th ... 003cuk-ssd

The differences between the second and third may not be noticed much doing the sort of things you describe, as speed of processor and size of hard drive are almost irrelevant for word, you tube etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 am 
Newly registered Member

Budget is around £350 or a bit more as I was going to go for an all in one but if I can get him a suitable tower replacement for less than that then that would be great.
The current one he has is some sort of HP one which is probably around 10 years old, it was his first computer and at the time a friend of mine had a girlfriend working in PC World so she just chose a suitable bundle of tower, keyboard and monitor and got a bit of discount. They've now seperated and she doesn't work there anymore anyway.
I would like to get something with windows 10 as I believe that is the latest version and he will be keeping this for a long time I expect so would prefer to start off with the most up to date version.
I think maybe that HP elite one might be ok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am 

Not a big fan of PC World but they have this at £250 -

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 6-pdt.html

Comes with W10, which as you say is the newest version, though many still prefer W7. It comes with 4gb of RAM, which may be enough, but adding more to give 8gb would be better. I believe the larger stores can do this for you so it might be worth asking, or you could go for something like this, which has 8gb.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computin ... 1-pdt.html

If you have a small local pc shop then it might be worth asking them - the big names do not always give the best value for money, nor do they use the best components - also, a local guy might help set it up and be there should there be any problems. Setting up a pc is not hard, as you just have to follow the instructions (ie press enter now etc) but having a man to call may be worth a lot in terms of peace of mind....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for putting up these options, I will call into the store sometime to have a look, I see the slimline one is also available on eBay with 8gb option at £274.99 plus about £16.00 postage.
Am I right in thinking that these days they don't come preloaded with Microsoft word so I will need to buy Microsoft office additionally with the computer?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

Yup, if you want Word. However you could look at Apache Open Office - it's free, and pretty much identical..