Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:27 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Looking for some advice on the above. Can anyone tell me why there are two Live connection s on the BDR1?
Neither the Vaillant or Honeywell manuals seem to cover this point. Also, shuld the Wireless symbol on the top RH corner of the CM927 be shown all the time that the stat is calling for heat??

Thanks in anticipation!!!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm 

The second live terminal is to link across for a live feed to the switched side of the relay. This can save running an extra feed from the boiler or wiring center to the BDR, but only if using 240v switching.

Personally I always run 4 core to the BDR and ignore the second live connection.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:00 am 
Newly registered Member

gas4you wrote:
The second live terminal is to link across for a live feed to the switched side of the relay. This can save running an extra feed from the boiler or wiring center to the BDR, but only if using 240v switching.

Personally I always run 4 core to the BDR and ignore the second live connection.

Just one more question - there are two Live terminals on the BDR1 - if I only connect to one of these with the Live supply, does it make any difference which of the two terminals I use???

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 am 

No, it's just one block with two connections.

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : peeceyemm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

All installed but not working!
The tests set out in the installation manual for sending/receiving signals from the thermostat show that this side of things are ok (the green light on the relay box goes on and off correctly in response to the thermostat), but the boiler does not fire up accordingly. I want to replace an old battery operated Sunvic thermostat with the Honeywell and have connected the BDR1 to the same connections as used by the Sunvic. It seems to me that if everything else is working OK, then my problem has to be with these connections?
There are some alternative connections labelled 'BUS" on the Vaillant - should I be connecting up the BDR1 to these or is there something else that I may have missed?? Any help will be appreciated.........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

I think I have discovered why the control is not working but can someone please confirm my thoughts:
I had previously connected the switched terminals of the BDR1 to the RT 24 volt terminals on the boiler - this resulted in the BDR1 operating in accordance with the requirements of the thermostat and the green light operating correctly but the boiler was not responding.
I now think that I should be connecting the switched terminals of the BDR1 to the 240 volt input to the boiler and the 230 volt RT terminal. i.e 240 volt switching.
Is this correct?????

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 pm 

I personally don’t see why the RT24 volt terminals should not work with the BDR91 Rx.

One of the RT24 connections should go to A (common) terminal and the other to the B (normally open) terminal in the BDR91 Rx.

If you feel confident in carrying out your own fault diagnostic tests you could try the following.

Connect a pair of wires to the RT24 volt terminals you will then be able to simulate a call for heat by connecting the two wires together this should result in the boiler firing up.

If the boiler fires up it points to a fault with the BDR21 Rx.

Be very careful and make sure you only connect to the 24volt X106 RT24 connector block!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your input - The boiler responds when using the RT24 connections as you suggested. This leads me to the problem being to do with the relay within the BDR1. Are there any suggestions about how to confim this??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm 

peeceyemm wrote:
Thanks for your input - The boiler responds when using the RT24 connections as you suggested. This leads me to the problem being to do with the relay within the BDR1. Are there any suggestions about how to confim this??

There are a couple of things to look for.

When the room stat calls for heat the top green led on the front of the BDR91 Rx box should illuminate.

If the green led lights up you should hear the relay click over at the same time. It’s quite a distinctive click and you should be able to hear it several feet away.

If the above happens then a multimeter would be useful to check the continuity of the relay contacts but if you have no multimeter then a bit of ingenuity is required.

A battery, bulb and a couple of lengths of wire connected to A and B in the BDR91 would prove the continuity of the relay contacts. :wink:

For this message the author PLB has received gratitude : peeceyemm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Good idea - I will try this with a multimeter.