DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have taken the plaster off the wall to expose the bricks. There is now a gap all the way round the ceiling ranging from a few mm to 6 cm with the accumulated dirt and dust of decades dropping through. The wall area varies from a wooden beam to brickwork .

I will be putting up a wooden ceiling under the plasterboard but there will still be gaps between the ceiling wood and the brick walls. I do not want to fill those so how can I block the gap betwen the plasterboard underneath and the brick/ wood as there is nothing for any filler to hold onto ?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am 

Can you post pictures, I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 am 
Newly registered Member

Rorschach wrote:
Can you post pictures, I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

Sorry but my photos keep getting rejected as too many pixels.

It is simply a gap between wall and the old plasterboard ceiling, after the plaster has been removed from the walls, that varies between 3cm and 8cm that I want to fill to stop dust and rubbish falling through ffrom the roof cavity above onto the ply ceiling I will fit below.

The problem with any filler is that there is nothing for it to grab to being in the ceiling with nothing above.

Basically how do I stop any foam or other filler dropping out ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 am 

unionwworkeruk wrote:

Pictures can be resized using one of many programmes, you probably already have *Paint* on your PC.

Expanding Foam is the simplest method: damp the area first with plain water in a small garden sprayer, (or you may have something under the kitchen sink that could be pressed into service ) then squirt foam into the gap, you don't have to fill the gap with foam, it will expand and do that itself.

The foam won't fall out, it sticks at about number nine blanket strength.

When it's cured any excess can be cut off flush with the wall using a sharp knife.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Attachment:
WP_20171023_001.jpg
WP_20171023_001.jpg [ 117.37 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]
Attachment:
WP_20171023_001.jpg
WP_20171023_001.jpg [ 117.37 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]
ayjay wrote:
unionwworkeruk wrote:

I have attached a photo . The problem is that there is nothing above the gap and nothing to one side except the void above the plasterboard so nothing except the wall for the foam to attach itself to. So it will then drop down rather than span the gap which is what I want it to do.

Pictures can be resized using one of many programmes, you probably already have *Paint* on your PC.

Expanding Foam is the simplest method: damp the area first with plain water in a small garden sprayer, (or you may have something under the kitchen sink that could be pressed into service ) then squirt foam into the gap, you don't have to fill the gap with foam, it will expand and do that itself.

When it's cured any excess can be cut off flush with the wall using a sharp knife.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:08 pm 

unionwworkeruk wrote:
Attachment:
WP_20171023_001.jpg
Attachment:
WP_20171023_001.jpg
ayjay wrote:
unionwworkeruk wrote:

I have attached a photo . The problem is that there is nothing above the gap and nothing to one side except the void above the plasterboard so nothing except the wall for the foam to attach itself to. So it will then drop down rather than span the gap which is what I want it to do.

Are you plastering the walls or applying plasterboard?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

Walls are remaining bare brick. I want to fill the gaps as they are and place a plywood ceiling covering the existing plasterboard. That is what makes it a problem I want to block the gaps that exit as I do not want to touch any after the plywood has gone up as the ply will be oil stained to a finish.

If I block them now then nothing can drop through onto the plywood or through the gaps between ply and brick which I am happy to keep.

I have done something similar in a small bathroom but the gaps were smaller.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 pm 

Far be it from me wishing to pee on your bonfire but will a stained ply ceiling make the room very dark and oppressive. You must always have an eye to the future where a finish like this would make a property hard to sell, and no one knows when they may have to move on in time. Even traditional timber frame cottages are moving to having the beams stripped and white washed as most people want a light contemporary feel to their homes these days.

I am sure you have your reasons.

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

It is a relatively high ceiling, over three metres and will be a light stain on beech ply with brick and light green walls with a huge stripped window. I did a simlar room with a lower ceiling with yellow and mahogany stained ply on walls and yellow ceiling. . The contrasts show the light.(I think)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:12 pm 

From your description, I wasn't expecting the gap to be horizontal. I don't think foam will stay in there as it is.

(Normally the ceiling is done first and then the walls plastered up underneath, I think your ceiling must have been replaced and the walls left as was at one time).

If I was covering that in timber, I'd batten it out first, a wide batten at the gappy edge will cover the gap, paint it matt black before you board the ceiling and any of the batten that shows - won't.

Alternatively, some strips of p/b or anything really to close up the worst of it and then foam it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes I am battening the ply out on the joists as the ceiling is uneven anyway. There is nothing behond it except the roofso I need to keep it

I was hoping to block any dirt getting down from the roof area and and resting in the ply of through any gap.

I think your idea of battening the edges might help if I do that to the plasterboard and then fill any gap with foam.

Just to be sure, if anything gets through I can do rhe same when putting up the ply.

I think you may have solved it.

Thanks