DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

I had a new Vailant ecotec plus 838 bolIer installed last May (2016) and have never had a problem with falling pressure until a few weeks ago. The pressure went below the bottom line so the boiler ceased working and I had to re-pressurise the system myself which is simple. I had to take a lot of air out of the radiators in the house as we recently had a new extension with wet underfloor heating and the boiler was also moved a few feet away to be housed in the new utility room and away from the old kitchen. The gas safe engineer told me it was normal for the pressure to go low when new pipes/radiators were installed etc as there would be air in the system. Once I bled all the radiators the pressure went down again, but then I re-pressurised the system again and it seemed ok

The house is on a slope there there are suspended concrete beams and then wet underfloor heating pipes and then screed and tiles. I am hoping that there is not any leaks underneath the raised concrete floor.

I have checked for leaks where all the radiators are in the house and cannot find any. There were no noticeable leaks when the new piping (plastic speedfit) were installed under the beams for the new position of the sink/dishwasher/new shower/new radiator in downstairs WC.

So after bleeding the radiators the boiler pressure went too low after 3 weeks. I have topped it up and it has been a week now, and I have noticed that the level is slightly lower than where I set it to, but the boiler is fine. The pressure gauge goes up when the radiators are on. Hopefully it is not a leak and is another problem as we have only been using the radiators for the last months and not since around April.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am 

How high does the pressure go when the heating is on?

If 3 Bar or higher it could be the expansion vessel has gone flat, very common on Vaillants.

Any signs of water coming out of the copper pipe outside?

Failing that, pressurise system to 1.5Bar, isolate boiler from system using heating isolation valves under the boiler, leave as long as possible with no use, open valves, if pressure drops then you have a leak on the system, if it drops whilst valves are shut, you have a problem with the boiler.

Also, does the condensate drain drip constantly, even when the boiler is not running?

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

The pressure only goes to around 2.0 bar when the heating is on, so I assume that the expansion vessel is not to blame.

The copper pipe outside seems fine as I covered it in a plastic bag overnight and the heating was on. There was zero sign of any water inside the bag.

I opened all the TRVs on the radiators as some were in position 3 (half way) last night and cranked the heating on. Should I bleed the radiators when the valves are opened fully and with the heating on to see if there is more air?

Regarding using the isolating valves, I think I need my gas safe engineer to do that bit dont I?

One other thing to note. Sometimes, even when the temperature of the room is above the setting for the thermostat the radiators are still warm and I noticed sometimes when the underfloor heating is on the radiators get warm too. I thought that the underfloor water flow and for the radiators in the house is separate as we have two RF switches and two thermostats. One thermostat is for the underfloor heating and the other is for the radiators in the house.

My gas safe engineer did need help from a colleague to connect two RF switches to the boiler and to be able to control them from different thermostats (wireless)

We have 2 x two port honeywell valves connected and have heatmiser thermostats

Just thought I would mention this as it might make someone more qualified than me notice if more seems to be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 pm 

You don’t need your engineer to isolate at the boiler valves. Use a 4mm Allen Kenyans turn them 90d after pressurising the system up.

Check the condensate pipe is not constantly dripping, even when the boiler is off. Outside chance the main HE is pin holed

www.drlgas.co.uk