DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hail all-knowing people!

I know no-one can tell me how much a rewire is but any comments would be very helpful.

Just bought a 1-bed bungalow in Scotland. Wiring is apparently TNCS??? Anyway the wires are all in metal conduits acting as earth so no earth in any light or socket.

I am going to let it out on short-term holiday lets but may live in it ultimately my (ancient) self. I am renovating now so now is the time to do it.

I have probably asked for the number one top platinum rewire, more sockets, USB chargers in some, move/add sockets/switches, shaver socket, data cables in wall, everything inside the wall - no trunking, move sockets and aerial sockets for TV on wall, downlights everywhere, change light fittings, fix PIV and relocate switch to another room, set kitchen sockets up for new kitchen later on, wired & interconnected smoke, CO and heat detectors, PAT testing, sockets at 900, callbell pulls in each room rewired and tucked up out of sight for later on, extractors in kitchen & bathroom, outside lights.

I am going to buy everything except the sockets/switches, downlights and wiring stuff. I am totally deflated as the estimate has come back at £3,950 plus VAT.

After the rewire I will then need the plasterer, joiner, roofer, decorator, (looks like i will be doing that myself now, seeing the cost of this) and furnishers. Have had the plumber in already and installed new boiler and shower off the boiler and the double glazing guy to service/fix the windows. PHEW!

I have been reading some stuff about rewire on here and I see I have to check that this price includes testing and certifying BUT IT IS SUCH A BIG AMOUNT! I had it in my mind that it might be about £2,000. Can anyone put my mind at rest about the cost of this? :dunno:

Thank you all in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm 

Wandadorff wrote:
Can anyone put my mind at rest about the cost of this? :dunno:

You have answered your own question.

Wandadorff wrote:
I know no-one can tell me how much a rewire is

Its the reason why, no one can tell you that explains it.
In short; Person A says it will be £1500, you get an electrician to do the job and it is £2500 you can't say "Can you make it cheaper because a person I do not know, that has never been to see he job says its only £1500."

What you also have to consider is what colour do you want the sockets (No not joking) as brass finish costs more than brushed aluminium, which costs more than white. Also there is the quantity of everything you want, years ago it was one single socket in the corner, now you may want (Quite rightly too) two double sockets in the corner of each room, so thats 8 sockets then no doubt you will want more than 1 light in each room............and so the list goes on, its a good idea what you are doing, but its not cheap, and the only way to get a cost is to ask an electrician to visit site and tell them exactly what you want, that way they can see what needs to be done.
You could also offer to labour for said electrician, in that if a socket is going there you could chase out the wall. (For all sockets etc, not just the one)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 pm 

Get a minimum of 3 quotes. An independent one man band and apprentice may well be cheaper... but not by much I would imagine.

There's a lot of work and materials there. Also check that your chosen sparks can self certify via NICIEC/ELECSA/NAPIT as 3 examples (assuming you are in England.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 pm 

wine~o wrote:
(assuming you are in England.

I agree with your 3 quotes idea, but I think you will find he is in Scotland

clue:
Wandadorff wrote:
Just bought a 1-bed bungalow in Scotland.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 pm 

Well spotted someone-else. I have changed my middle name by deed poll from "pedant" to "unobservant".. :B

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : someone-else
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I am in Bonny Scotland and I am a lassie not a laddie.

I have never done chasing out so wouldn't feel very confident to offer to do it. I am going to try and take the double layer of tiles off the kitchen wall though so the new sockets can get put in at the right height.

This estimate is from a guy whose company is NICEIC approved contractor, domestic installer and registered PAT tester. He came and spent time and we worked out that a rewire would be cheaper in the long run. He inspired confidence and seemed to understand what I was wanting and discussed things in quite a lot of detail. I'm just getting the plain white switches and stuff.

I am looking on the NICEIC site now and will find 2 others to give me a quote/estimate with the same spec.

I can't really leave this until later or all the other work would be in vain as eventually I would have to wreck it to rewire.

Thanks for all your help and keep the comments coming if you think of any more - it all helps me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 pm 

Just wondering............what will you be taking the tiles off with?

Image something like this? its ideal.

Guess what you use to cut a chase with? yep, same thing. (and a hammer obviously)

The biggest cost of most jobs is the labour, so since you will be taking some tiles off...........

oh, and if you haven't you should treat yourself to a pair of These better to spend £5 and wear them than to...........

You are also doing the right thing regarding taking out the conduit, because it will no doubt not go where you want it to, and to add to it is immense grief.

For what its worth, as you mentioned there is no need for an earth wire with steel conduit, which is why you wont find one.

I wish you all the best.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 pm 

I live in North Wales and my mother was first taken into hospital then into a home and we hoped we could get her back in her own home.

However pre 1966 wiring (1954) so no earths to lights, and attempts to fit RCD protection had failed it was tripping all the time and she had already put an extension lead in a bucket of water as she thought it was on fire.

so I had a window of around 6 weeks to get it rewired, I could only find two firms who could do it in the time scale one £4500 the other £2500 and that was with me doing the plastering, I could have rewired it myself but with everything else going on I estimated it would take me on my own around 4 weeks to rewire with my injuries and then re-plaster so really not the time.

I really did not know if it would be rented out, or if we would live in it, so wiring was basic. I found a list of items not quite right, however not really worried, I corrected them. And this is the problem, it was on the cheap and it showed. But it did what I wanted, I have a sound base to expand on.

The guy doing the wiring was good, the faults it seemed all happened in the last day when he had not completed on time and the job was flooded with 8 electricians to finish it in time. He had some nice touches, like all bedroom light switches wired in triple and earth so do not need to chase wall to fit a two way switch, and he had consideration for me plastering and he avoided wall with paper on them.

But getting TV points, LAN points and swapping to sockets with USB charging points was all done after they left. There is an old saying pay peanuts and you get monkeys, if all you want is the certificate so you can rent it out then bare basic rewire, but can't have it both ways. Most my wires hidden, do a surface rewire much cheaper, in the corners where already trunking with central heating pipes he ran cables in trunking, but middle of wall all should have been sunk in, did find one surface some one sneaked in.

Getting three quotes great, but needs to be like for like.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 am 

My guess £4k +vat is around the right area for a re-wire these days.

I would get a few quotes to make a comparison, its the only way to know a cost for your project and what electricians charge in your area.

Maybe you could lower the spec somewhat to lower the price.

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : Wandadorff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am 
Newly registered Member

Thank you everyone for all your comments. This has been really helpful.

In the end my brother-in-law took the tiles off. He offered me an electric one of those tools and I ran away in fear! I have got the safety goggles and was going to do it myself but couldn't even get into the first tile. When I found a way I found it was very uncomfortable getting those little tile chips down the bra (not kidding). Anyway he did it in about an hour.

I am having this rewire done shortly and it needs to be everything I want as I am not an electrician and wouldn't be adding anything on later. I can wire a plug and that is it! It needs to be everything as I may actually be living in this bungalow later on so it needs to be set up for an old lady. The sockets will all be at 900mm up the wall and I don't want any remote chance of anyone using an extension lead as I will be letting it out on short term lets (self-catering accommodation). It has a call bell and light on the outside wall and a pull cord in every room so if you get in difficulties someone in the street would see it and come to your aid. The council put these in and I think they are wonderful!

It also has a PIV which is not working and I have finally found someone who knows what this is and can fix it for me. One guy offered to extend the roof by one tile each side and put soffits in (it hasn't got any, only fascia) and put vents in the soffits at a cost of £1,900 as he said the PIV wouldn't work and this is the solution to my ventilation problem! Yep! It takes all sorts! :boxing: I have seen new PIV's for about £300.

It is going to cost me about £3K for the rewire and I am gutted at the price but I need this property to be really safe and well planned both for my guests and possibly for me ultimately.

Being a landlady, being able to sleep soundly at night comes high on the agenda and I would much rather spend my money on making the house safe than tarting it up. I can do that later when I get some pennies.

Once again, thank you all for your invaluable help