DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 pm 

I find myself watching YouTube more than I watch the TV now due to the plethora of TV programs aimed at the brain dead.

I stumbled upon this old program yesterday about a gunsmith making an old musket gun from scratch and I mean scratch. I found the endless skills he had amazing. The way he made the barrel blew my mind and not a power tool in sight.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Argyll has received thanks - 2: chrrris, ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 pm 

I know exactly what you mean about braindead TV programmes. If I had my way, we wouldn't have a TV licence in this house, but the Mrs needs her fix of Homes Under the Hammer and Big Brother, so basically no chance of me getting my way!

Haven't watched that video yet, but have just added it to my "Watch Later" list. Cheers!

There are some great YT channels out there and, like you, I find myself spending more time watching them now than traditional TV (and certainly more than the BBC, which has lost its way completely over the past few years and should really be abolished or turned into just another commercial broadcaster -- as that is the level of content they now provide).

Some of my fave YT channels for original content: AvE, John heisz, UHM (obviously!), stu crompton, plumberparts, Draw Curiosity, tom plum (formerly of this very parish), PBS space time, Numberphile, Richard Herring, I could go on... and on. But also lots of historic programmes and info on there like the video you posted too. Don't wanna hijack the topic or anything, but if anyone has any recommendations for other interesting videos or channels, I for one would be interested in hearing about them.

For this message the author chrrris has received thanks - 2: Argyll, ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:35 pm 
Pro Carpenter

thats why i have 3 freeview recorder boxes
i dont like soaps' fantasy'sport'reallity'american plastic'news
or films
i do like things like news night 'daily politics'question time and lighthearted like 'heartbeat'the royal ice road truckers judge judy etc
i will record many hundreds off hours off programs and iff i remember more than about 30% i will stop watching deleate and watch the next recording :lol:
in general tv is in the background whilst i am doing other things so quite secondary unless it gets my full attention as i cant do two things at once lol