DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:16 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Heating won't come on
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 pm 

I've got a Ideal Logic + Combi 24 boiler in the flat I've been in since June, I've got a Hive thermostat that was fitted a couple of months ago

It heats the water OK but I tested it today by turning up the target heat on the Hive, hoping to make the boiler heat the radiators. The Hive light near the boiler came on and it fired up initially but the radiators don't heat up.

The display says "normal operation, returning to standby" and the blue "firing" light on the boiler is off.

The now redundant mechanical timer on the boiler is set to permanent on

The pressure gauge looks OK at about 1.2

Could the pump be faulty? No error message on the boiler display. It produces hot water

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:38 am 

Off the top of my head my first thought would be something with the signal from the Hive receiver box.

If you are comfortable to and safe with working with electrics, I would link out the external controls in the boiler terminal block, after turning the mains off first.

If it fires up, then it proves it is external control fault.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:09 pm 

Start with the basics and check the valves under the boiler are open and that any TRV's on the system aren't stuck if the pump wasn't running you'd have no hot water :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 pm 

Being a Combi it does not need the pump for DHW.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:08 pm 

Yes it does aeromech.

There is only Intergas and a couple of others that don't use the pump for hot water in a combi

www.drlgas.co.uk

For this message the author gas4you has received gratitude : aeromech3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:01 am 

I have found even my wireless thermostat seems to have some anti hysteresis software, I am sure hive and nest are the same, instead of simply switching on/off at a set temperature, as the temperature is approached it starts to use what is referred to as a mark/space ratio to slowly reduce or increase heating so it does not over shoot the setting.

I am getting the same problem, my eTRV also has anti hysteresis software, so they slowly open and close, they do not simply switch on and off.

The problem I have is no where is there an adjustment for the anti hysteresis, so with two devices both trying to stop the hysteresis the rooms will quickly warm from 0°C to 16°C but then the whole system starts to slow down. I would not be surprised to find the boiler also has anti hysteresis software.

As far as I am aware both hive and nest use IFTTT so can talk to the eTRV so they both change temperatures together. As far as I understand this needs an internet connection to work, so if your internet goes down, then the link between thermostatic radiator valve and wall thermostat is lost.

I do find it confusing, we have spent years tweaking the central heating system so each room is heated independent of each other, so not only can each room have a different temperature also these temperatures can vary with time, room occupancy, if a window is left open, and how close the normal occupants mobile phone is to the house. Then we fit a general thermostat? I just can't see where the general thermostat fits in with all this individual room control.

Each radiator has a TRV which decides how much flow is required for that radiator, once the flow is reduced to a set level a by pass valve opens allowing hot water to return to the boiler, when the boiler senses this hot water it reduces the flame height to suit, all very clever, but where does the wall thermostat fit in with this system?

It would seem I have a hub which monitors the temperature in each room and displays the temperatures both target and current on my computer, but there seems to be no connection to the boiler to tell it to stop, I would have expected a relay which when all TRV are satisfied switches off the boiler, in fact some systems do have this, for example the EvoHome, however my system does not seem to be all joined up.

So we have a half hearted system called IFTTT or "If this then that" where either the main thermostat tells the radiators what to do, or the radiators tell the thermostat what to do, rather messes up the whole idea of each room being independent, however it is cheap to install, a hive thermostat is a fraction of the price of Evohome.

But each device seems to try and go it alone, and all you can do is work through the snag charts and hope your snag is listed. So my guess and it can only be a guess is there is nothing wrong, and some anti hysteresis software is being too clever for it's own good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 am 

Nice thread hijack EM, nothing to do with the OPs problem though :thumbright: :thumbright:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html