DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:30 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys got a couple of questions
iv gone and laid a insulated floor inside my garage, celotex with tongue and groove flooring over the top, I'm now thinking about blocking the main garage door as its never used and just having the side door as my way in and out, thinking about building a wood frame up against the inside of the door and insulating it again with celotex and then plasterboard over the top, maybe seal up around the edges of the door also, this will also help to warm my garage up a bit more for all my gear

so is it advised to put a plastic sheet over the whole door inside and also the wall around the door before I build a frame? like pin up a massive sheet of plastic or maybe even DPM then build the frame over the sheet,

was thinking about maybe filling under the garage door with cement or something similar to stop any water running under it in the heavy rain, any suggestions?

thanks all

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:07 pm 

Do you want this to be a permanent thing? If so I would say you are better removing the door and filling the gap properly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Rorschach wrote:
Do you want this to be a permanent thing? If so I would say you are better removing the door and filling the gap properly.

Not really sure about permanent but for the foreseeable future yes, Iv been looking online and many people who do full garage conversions seem to just stick a wall up and leave the door so thought id just go that way, its certainly cheeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:07 pm 

the door gets left in place as often garage conversions are done without planning for the change of use of building regs -externally the house has an attached garage, internally its an extra bedroom, utility room, open plan with kitchen etc etc :-)

I think if you are leaving the door in place, then just leave the gaps around the door and leave a bit of a gap to your new stud wall and you've then formed a cavity which is ventilated. Less risk of condensation and damp build up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 pm 

Ah of course, wanting to keep things under the radar I guess. In which case as Notch says, leave a small cavity is probably best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks guys but Still wondering though should i put up a plastic sheet to stop damp? Some people seem to put it over the celotex before the plaster board and some people seem to put it over the brick wall before the frame im putting stud wall up over garage door so do i need a plastic sheet over anhthing there?