DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

I was a bit dubious about trying water-based gloss paint but about a year ago I decided to try one out. Specifically this one, from Wickes:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Truewhit ... l/p/122169

I found the finish was not as good as 'regular' gloss, but for a water-based paint I was surprised how good it actually appeared. So much so, I painted all of my window ledges and window frames with it!

More recently, I have decided to go all white and paint the walls and ceiling with matt emulsion. I purchased Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt but to my disappointment, it appeared cream at the side of the Wickes Truewhite gloss. I thought it might just need a few more coats but 2 and 3 more coats and it's just the same :o(

So, I went to Screwfix and purchased a tub of Leyland Trade Contract Brilliant White Matt, but again it appeared cream at the side of the Wickes Truewhite gloss. In fact, in my tests the Leyland and Dulux looked absolutely identical. Could the problem be that the Wickes paint is just 'too white'?

'Pure Brilliant White' should mean pure brilliant white, not 'Pure Brilliant Cream' [mutter, mumble!]

The picture below is a fair representation of the colour difference which is noticeable. Left is Wickes Truewhite Gloss and right is Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt. The samples were painted on a transparent CD jewel case and the background is a brand new white cotton sheet.

So, before I waste yet more money on paint, does anyone have any recommendations on which mat emulsion to buy in order to get a pure white?

What about Johnstone's? I have heard a lot of good things about their paints but I would like a few opinions first.

I think a sample pot would be a good idea this time!

Attachments:
Wickes-Dulux Test Samples.JPG
Wickes-Dulux Test Samples.JPG [ 268.39 KiB | Viewed 3855 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:44 pm 

I like Johnstones Coverplus. I used Dulux a couple of years back and had to do loads of coats to get a cover. It used to be great but it is rubbish now. I have used Johnstones ever since.

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

With regards to whiteness, the johnstones will definitely be the whitest, I cant remember which way round but dulux and crown are grey and creamish in colour. This is all subjective until you have them all side by side.

For this message the author jmt has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:33 pm 

Crown to me looks more gray than creamy but I can't comment on Dulux.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 pm 

have you been using retail pain & not the trade paint..i've been using dulux trade for over 20 years & i've never seen dry a cream colour.,,This week i decorated a flat in Armstead Trade vinyl matt with no problems whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 am 

If I remember correctly, Leyland makes the paint and its badged under their own name and others, ie Wickes, B&Q etc, its a few years since I was told this, by my next door neighbour, who was a manager at their Liversedge manufacturing plant. Nos

For this message the author Nos has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 pm 
Newly registered Member

We did make products for both of these companies, but I think they now get them from a German company.

As I said in my earlier post whiteness is subjective, the Dulux looks white when applied, as does the Johnstones and the Crown , but place them at the side of each other and you will see a vast difference.

For this message the author jmt has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies :-)

dewaltdisney wrote:
I like Johnstones Coverplus. I used Dulux a couple of years back and had to do loads of coats to get a cover. It used to be great but it is rubbish now. I have used Johnstones ever since.
DWD
Point very much taken. I totally agree and I won't be buying Dulux, Crown or Leyland Trade white ever again. They can consider me a lost customer! I might buy a coloured paint from them but white should mean white, not cream!!

jmt wrote:
With regards to whiteness, the johnstones will definitely be the whitest, I cant remember which way round but dulux and crown are grey and creamish in colour. This is all subjective until you have them all side by side.
There's a Johnstone's Decorating Centre near me and I'll pop down and see them next week.

OchAye wrote:
Crown to me looks more gray than creamy but I can't comment on Dulux.
Grey or cream, if the tin says Pure Brilliant White, then that is what it should be - not cream or grey [mumble, moan!] The top 2 retail manufacturers should know better!!

dubman2 wrote:
have you been using retail pain & not the trade paint..i've been using dulux trade for over 20 years & i've never seen dry a cream colour.,,This week i decorated a flat in Armstead Trade vinyl matt with no problems whatsoever.
As mentioned in my original post, I have tried Leyland Trade. This was indistinguishable from the Dulux rubbish. Because the water-based gloss I originally used was actually white, anything a slight shade off at the side of it looked noticeable. If the gloss I used had been the same shade of white as the matt emulsion, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Nos wrote:
If I remember correctly, Leyland makes the paint and its badged under their own name and others, ie Wickes, B&Q etc, its a few years since I was told this, by my next door neighbour, who was a manager at their Liversedge manufacturing plant. Nos
That'll explain the Dulux Pure Brilliant White being indistinguishable from the Leyland Trade.

jmt wrote:
We did make products for both of these companies, but I think they now get them from a German company.

As I said in my earlier post whiteness is subjective, the Dulux looks white when applied, as does the Johnstones and the Crown , but place them at the side of each other and you will see a vast difference.
"White is an achromatic color, a color without hue." The big companies should know how to make a white paint without a hue, as Wickes seem to have achieved - or at least achieved to a better degree, than the 2 biggest retail producers of paint have done.

Thanks again for all the replies :o)

For this message the author Bat 'n' Ball has received gratitude : multiman