DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

I needed to replace a window at my works and although Ive done a couple in the past with other lads on new builds, I just assumed it would be straight forward job. I measured up and had the window delivered then when I removed the old one eventually I encountered a small problem. These are the really old style of window held in by straps that fasten inside the inner wall as opposed to screwed into the walls. So my problem is that the window has to line up with the old stone sill so I have no room for movement so the frame ends up over the cavity hence nothing to screw window fixings into. I've managed to get a couple of fixings in at an angle and plenty of wedges and filled it with expanding foam and sealer all round for now as I had to get the window back in. I'm not too worried as its only a basement window but I could do with some pointers on how I should of done this job in case I need to replace any of the main windows in the future.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm 

Fix some straps to the frame before fitting

For this message the author cotswold builders has received gratitude : brassic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

So is that how its normally done in these cases. I did consider that but I was a bit stuck at the time as it was on Sunday when I did it and needed to get the window in pronto. I thought maybe there were some cavity fixtures or something for doing it but as I say, I'm not a window fixer and just needed to get it done. So if I have to do any more in the future then its a matter of fixing straps to the window like the originals. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm 

Yes use straps and fit a cavity closer/insulation was it a steel frame coming out ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:55 pm 

You should've been supplied window clips/straps/cleats with the window. They have a toothed part that you knock into the profile allowing you to fix into the inside skin of brickwork.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

http://www.double-glazing-parts-repairs.co.uk/image/data/Ironmongery/Schuring-Window-Clip.jpg

This clip as stevie said the end with the teeth clips into a channel on the frame itself and you use the holes on the remaining bracket to fix on the inside of the building. Wedge and foam to keep secured and draft proofing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks guys, I'll know next time to ask for these, I just presumed it was a standard window as like I say, Ive only done them with other lads on new builds and it was a bit late when I had the window out but its all good and secure and I'll know next time if I have to do any of the of the larger windows in the future. If i had known first I probably would have been supplied with the correct type of frame and fittings, my bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm 

brassic wrote:
If i had known first I probably would have been supplied with the correct type of frame and fittings, my bad.

I've used cut down restraint straps in the past when the correct fittings have been missing/lost/whatever.

Don't be tempted to use banding strap, too floppy.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : brassic