Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys I'm brand new here and looking forward to being a big part of this forum

I'm wanting to insulate my garage floor turn it into a nice chill free tool area, I'm wanting to insulate the floor by putting down a wood frame, 50mm high latts / joists whatever you call em :) and 50mm kingspan in between with weyrock flooring over the top, iv a few questions though,

when I build my wood floor frame what sort of gaps do I leave between joists where my kingspan goes in between?

and another thing is about a year ago I coated the floor with KA Tanking solution, its great stuff but there is the odd area where I can see the odd bit of damp coming through so should I put a damp proof sheet down under the whole floor before I start?

any help much appreciated and thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:31 pm 

The centers for your joists want to be at 400mm spacing (ie: centre to centre of joists)
Are you happy that the existing floor is flat & level?
If so, then you are ok at the joists going directly on top of your membrane without any packings.
I would like you to consider 100mm Kingspan & 4x2" joists instead of 50mm as the latter would have minimum effect.
Lay all your joists out over the membrane @ 400mm centres. When in position, tack 2 or 3 laths across the joists to keep them in place.
Then starting at one end, commence flooring. Remove the temp laths as you proceed.

davyp1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 pm 

You can lay a floating floor, viqueen membrane, kingspan with 8x2 t&g flooring, glue the joints.

Saves all the timber work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm 

cotswold builders wrote:
You can lay a floating floor, viqueen membrane, kingspan with 8x2 t&g flooring, glue the joints.

Good solution!

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : graemeuk
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:09 pm 

cotswold builders wrote:

Agree! We do this often but we always use the polyurethane d4 glue for the joints,great stuff that gives a really good bond in the t&g joints.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the replies

davyp1 wish I could use 100mm kingspan but the reason I want to use 50mm kingspan and 50mm floor joists is because of the height of the inside of the garage, not a massive amount to play with and I might just insulate the roof also with maybe 100mm kingspan or 150mm at a push, but I'm not sure yet this was more about just insulating a cold floor

so your saying it would be ok for me to put a membrane down over the top of the KA tanking slurry that was done? if so ill check out the viqueen membrane

I'm not 100% the floor is level id have to check that, id have to use bits of packing to make it level if its not

iv thought about floating floor but would this not shift around through time with it sitting on the membrane and kingspan?

Iv pinched this image of the net just so I can try get it all right, so 400mm gap between joists? and this sort of frame ok? sorry iv not done this before

I'm also going to have to work out somehow exactly how many 50mm joists id need and weyrock flooring

I'm looking around and 50mm joists seem a little harder to come buy so found this would these be good for the job? http://www.stewart-timber.co.uk/product/47mm-x-50mm-timber-joist/

Attachments:
floor 1.jpg
floor 1.jpg [ 119.06 KiB | Viewed 500 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

just found some Sawn Timber Regularised Treated 47mm x 50mm x 4.2m on Travis perkins and its a softwood would this be recommended for my frame ? thanks