DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Mobile workshop
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am 
Newly registered Member

I'm brand new here and hopefully in the right area with my question. Otherwise please just move. And if I have overlooked a post that already deals with the topic, then I am sorry. :dunno:
Since I am a self-employed craftsman, my transporter is also my workshop. So far, I have my tools in boxes in the loader room, but this is too confusing. Do you have tips on how to store my tools properly? I have found on the Internet supplier of shelves for the vehicle (e.g., http://bit.ly/2uYAthq). But I'm not sure if this is the right thing for me. Does anyone know more precisely?
Thanks and greetings from Oxford! :thumbright:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Mobile workshop
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 am 

:spam2:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 pm 

Hello thieloo :welcomeuhm:
The problem for any one is "how would we know what is suitable for you?"
As a forum we can offer opinions, but how can we say what is best for you, it is your choice what you feel happy with.
Why not show us some of the projects you have done, or ask other questions.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : thieloo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, thanks for the answers! I'm very sorry I did not want to spread spam. :shock: That was not my intention. I just thought it would help to imagine.
I am unfortunately a real rivet about computers. I would just like to know whether someone has already experience with such shelves or whether there are other solutions. Is this perhaps easier to answer? Thanks for your help! :thumbleft:

For this message the author thieloo has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 pm 

I always find it a tad odd when a craftsman buys plastic toolboxes and the like. In a similar vein spending hard earned on a propriety racking /storage system seems just as odd not to speak of more expensive. I have fitted out a couple of vans using timber and ply , custom built to what they were carrying and how they were used. I have minimal in my van at the moment . There's a storage box flush with and as high as the wheel arch and the top of that serves as a place for the steps to live. The box is used for stuff not needed several times a day and the space behind is also used for extra tubes of mastic , knee pads , gloves and other stuff . On the roof I have several short plastic tubes that hold sweeping brushes and the like , used frequently and easy to get to. A removable shelf on the bulkhead hold bits and pieces that are used more frequently that I don't want rattling around the floor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 pm 

Its still the same answer.
It really depends on what YOU need, but I also think what Grendel has said is good, but in a round about way he is saying what I said in the first place, in that it depends on what is suitable for YOU.

Look at it this way.

I say you need the "shelfomatic" storage system for your vehicle, you go out an buy it and then find out its very well built, but no use to you.

I would suggest you sit down and think about what tools you use the most and then draw a rough diagram of where to store them and in what order, but again it depends on what sort of crafts person you are?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm 

someone-else wrote:
Its still the same answer.
It really depends on what YOU need, but I also think what Grendel has said is good, but in a round about way he is saying what I said in the first place,

Yep not trying to change or disagree with what you said , just adding my own waffle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm 

We don't even know what trade yet, just "self employed craftsman". What tools do you keep, what do you use all the time?

I had my van set up reasonably well for most things carpentry based, (all racked out and compartmented by myself) but anything resembling jobbing was a bit of a nightmare.

On a normal job, the basics would come out anyway and this gave me access to everything else, if I only wanted a couple of tools and they weren't part of the normal kit, then the normal kit had to be removed to get at them.

I never really thought of a way to improve that, but I didn't do a lot of jobbing anyway, just one or two builders provided that sort of work for me occasionally.

Off topic: In amongst all the shelving etc, I had a screw cupboard, about 2'0" wide and the full height of the inside of the van, it had a 6 mm ply door on the front that sat in a channel on the floor and bolted shut at the top - I only ever once forgot to put the door back on before driving off, you can't imagine the mess made by dozens of boxes of screws falling out and depositing their contents into everything else on the floor of the van - I made sure that I never ever ever did that again!! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm 
Old School Chippie

Grendel wrote:
I always find it a tad odd when a craftsman buys plastic toolboxes and the like.

In that case I suggest that you never investigate Tanos Systainets (or Sotimo's similar product, etc)

Grendel wrote:
In a similar vein spending hard earned on a propriety racking /storage system seems just as odd not to speak of more expensive

And in a similar vein I'll dissuade you from looking at the matching vehicle fit-out systems sold by such firms

OK, just playing devil's advocate here, but there are major advantages to using system boxes for tools, not least the ability to carry up to 5 or 6 tools in boxes clipped togther, or using the roll boards with tool boxes all securely clipped on top. Saves much time nd effort in my experience- many less trips to and fro. I have been staedily compartmentising my tools in this way for about 5 years now and it has disciplined mne into putting stuff away and being more tidy.

My last van was fitted with two flat decks for (increasingly) Systainers and Makpacs with storage boxes in ply atop the wheel arches and between there and the rear doors. On of those held tubes of caulk, silicone and grip adhesive. My spirit levels, caulking guns, etc were clipped onto the plywood cladding at one side. The big problem is that I can carry a very varied tool kit with chop saws, a vacuum, a table saw, hop ups, step ladder (carried on a roof rack) and many other odd shaped items which always end up residing in a heap at the bottom. This is because no two jobs are the same for me (carpenter and joiner)

Still trying to work out how to proceed with the current van

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 am 

Job and Knock wrote:
Grendel wrote:
I always find it a tad odd when a craftsman buys plastic toolboxes and the like.

In that case I suggest that you never investigate Tanos Systainets (or Sotimo's similar product, etc)

Grendel wrote:
In a similar vein spending hard earned on a propriety racking /storage system seems just as odd not to speak of more expensive

And in a similar vein I'll dissuade you from looking at the matching vehicle fit-out systems sold by such firms

Already dissuaded but thanks anyway. I've seen some boxes etc in the past and honestly thought them overrated . Looking at some with a friend his response was "how much ? For a box , a f*****g box , I'd want it full of tools as well for that!" . To be honest I did try to say how many people do use and like them but his reaction was worse than mine.
Personally my tools are carried in plywood boxes . Cheap shitty 1/2" shuttering ply with a few tasteless stickers on.. All made the same size irrespective of tool and all the same size. They therefore stack nicely , are strong enough to use as hopups or work supports and don't shout steal me and it wouldn't be the end of the world if one got damaged. I have a little collapsible sack truck should I need to carry several at one time or I can use a wheelbarrow.
If anyone prefers to buy fancy tool box "systems" that's their own prerogative and best of luck. I suppose I'm a bit more old school in my thinking and can't see the point of getting a dog and having to bark oneself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am 

Just thinking a bit laterally here, I do not have the issues to worry about humping all my tools around with me to each job (not that I do much these days if I can help it). I tend to use some burlap sacks I have and it is surprising how much you can carry in one hop. The sacking takes all irregular shapes and you can gather the end together into a thick grip which is easy to heft about.

The issue seems to me to be the movement of tools and fittings from van to the job so a few sacks on board might be and idea.

Just an idea :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 pm 

I tend to keep tools in boxes rather than hanging on racks ( well except for things like mastic guns , brushes and stuff that's unlikely to be worth a lot) so I can move them from the van to the house in the evening and then back again if tomorrow's work needs them. As it is most of the boxes are permanently in the house.
Burlap sacks ? Very posh , I've only got old plastic sacks :lol: