DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hey all. New to the forums and recently started a thread on the Welcome forum about my renovation project on our stone built property.

I am gutting each room one at a time and after each gut I plan to re-point each internal wall. I understand that with stone, I should not be using a regular cement mortar mix, but instead, a sand/lime mixture.

Can anyone with experience of working with stone advise and provide some guidance on the right mortar materials/ratios to use.

Photos of the walls can be seen on my initial post here: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/new-member-new-project-t89940.html

Thanks in advance.

/Danny

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:26 pm 

Unless your experienced with lime, or have a loads to do, forget making your own,

Find your nearest lime supplier, and get a 15ltr tub of BM2 ready mixed lime.
£16 plus vat, it will go a long way unless you have huge joints.
Dampen joints before hand, don't add any water to ready mixed lime, to avoid to much shrinkage any cracking.
Check it during the day, pushing it back as its drying, should be able to stiff brush it up next day, to expose aggregate.

You could try tradlime if you get stuck, they might deliver.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the response. I am going through the house and gutting every room, raking out each wall as I go, so it will make more sense for me to mix it up myself.

I have worked with lime in a past life when working on a stone building (YTS, 30 years ago!). If I recall correctly, this was a sand, lime & cement mix, although I forget the exact ratios.

I am also going to be taking up and re-laying some courses that are currently a bit precarious. I assume that whatever mix is used for pointing can also be used for laying?

Photo of current wall state below (after some raking out).

Having a look around the internet, most common mix appears to be 4 parts sharp sand to 1 part hydraulic lime, NHL3.5 ?

/Danny

Attachments:
20170716_144834245_iOS.jpg
20170716_144834245_iOS.jpg [ 419.79 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

Hi Danny,

I was in a very similar situation to you.

I raked out as you have then used readymix nhl 3.5 - do not use cement, it prevents the lime from breathing properly (there are some situations it can be used, but avoid its use where possible. The lime is sacrificial and it will deteriorate over time - that is normal, adding cement stops this process and the stone gets damaged.

I can't see why you don't mix your own as readymix gets expensive (I was 12 a bag inc vat) but its a bit less convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks, Strath.

I do indeed plan to mix my own. I just need to understand the best mix ratio. Most common appear to be 3 or 4 sharp sand to 1 Hydraulic Lime NHL3.5. I might as well split the difference and go 3.5:1.

I also need to try and find out if it is the same ratio for laying courses as it is for pointing.

As a matter of interest, did you have a double leaf wall? I'm interested in what you used to finish the wall. Lime plaster, dry-lining etc. ?

/Danny