Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am 

Hi
I am doing the floorboards, did the repair and replace part. I am going to put few pine slivers in the gaps and next is sanding.
I tried my random sander green Bosch PSS 250 AE but useless for such job even with 40 grit. I don't want to hire because it is a small room and will do more sanding in the future. Makita told me not to use orbital ones because it may damage wood and go for palm or random or even better belt sanders. My budget for this machine is around £100 stretch to £150 if I have to. What type of sander shall I get for such job? Which one is recommended?

Attachments:
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG [ 102.5 KiB | Viewed 1178 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:04 pm 
Old School Chippie

Belt sander, preferably a 4in model - but that will exceed your budget. Personally, I'd hire one for the weekend, together with a decent class-M vacuum

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
Belt sander, preferably a 4in model - but that will exceed your budget. Personally, I'd hire one for the weekend, together with a decent class-M vacuum

Yes agree 4 instead of 3 inch.
How about Makita 9400 which is around £100, it's 4 inch, got the power 940W and 380m/min speed, the only thing it's heavy at 6.2kg ?
Hiring is an option and very affordable and now I'm considering it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:31 pm 
Old School Chippie

A Makita 9400 at £100 is going to be secondhand as they were a bit more expensive than that in their day - which was 25 years or so back. They were replaced by the 9401 which in turn has been replaced by the 9403 and 9404 models. I tend to treat buying secondhand tools like I treat buying secondhand cars - if I'm not famiiliar with the model I assume it's a "ringer" until I can prove otherwise. The last 9400 I bought was purchased about 10 years ago for a one-off job- and it required a set of brushes, a new graphite bed sheet and a new cork sheet. The belt tracking adjustment was also worn and needed attention. So caveat emptor! There was nothing wrong with the 9400 in its' day, mind youy. They are basic and robust. Modern equivalent would be the Maktec MT940 - a Chinse-made copy of the original (but still made by Makita). Availability fluctuates, but they come in around the same price as you've quoted, Being new one of thise would have a warranty

You mention heavy, but any belt sander is heavy. Why should it matter, though, for a tool which will spend its' working life on ythe floor?

TBH if I didn't have a belt sander, I'd hire for the weekend and blitz the job (make sure you have enough blts first - even Toolstation sell 'em). if you are going to buy anything it should really be a delta (triangular plate) sander to deal with the edges and corners that the belt sander won't reach

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930