DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: kids prints
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

i'm trying to make feet and hand prints of my little children ... but i havent find the right material so far... i want a water proof and resistent material as i would love to leave it outdoors sonewhere in the garden...

first i bought plaster...but my dad told me it is not anti rain... now someone told me in the shop to try with mortar? I bought a full bag but we tryed today and the prints doesnt stay very clear.. it seems just like a hole... not a footprint...

i dont have an oven to try clay.. and i have air drying clay but again it is not rain proof...

Please help!!!

Dulce

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: kids prints
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 am 

I'm surprised you haven't achieved at least a reasonable impression with sand/cement, maybe you need to experiment more with the amount of water used in the mix. At a guess some plasticiser would also be helpful in the mix, there may be other tips and tricks to try for this. Have you researched it at all?

If you're anywhere near the South-West of Hampshire I'd be happy to fire a clay version for you. We would need to discuss the clay you use, and be aware that there will be about a 10% shrinkage rate when fired to maturity.

Alternatively look up local potters and pay them a visit, again, discuss what clay you use, it needs to be Stoneware rather than Earthenware for outdoor survival, but it also needs to be a clay that each potter is happy to fire in their kiln. The wrong clay can make a very expensive mess in a kiln.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:38 am 

You don't need to do this 'directly' into the casting material.

Use ordinary clay to make the impressions then cover it in plaster of paris. When it sets remove the plaster, paint (to seal the surface) then pour concrete over it to make the 'right way around' casting.

Bit long winded but allows you to use whatever material you wish to make the final cast with - concrete, plastic (resin) etc.... indeed a car fibre glass repair kit will make a very robust final 'cast' - weatherproof, paintable, light weight etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am 

kellys_eye wrote:

Use ordinary clay to make the impressions then cover it in plaster of paris. When it sets remove the plaster, paint (to seal the surface) then pour concrete over it to make the 'right way around' casting.

I was just thinking more about this while I was taking a shower. There is a similar technique that can be used with plaster and clay: make the impression/mould in plaster (not sure how yet with a kids foot), once you have the plaster negative mould you make a positive mould with clay in the paster and then fire the clay to the bisque stage, you can then make negative impressions from the bisque mould, (as many as you want) and fire them to maturity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you so much for your comments! I will start again with the project tomorrow...
I will try first the clay, plaster, mortar method as I already have the meterials at home... I will be more careful about adding to much water into the mixture ... ( today some one told me to use cement ... 3 parts of sand, one of cement, water and a tiny bit of fairy soap! .. ) Im reading about the difference of cement, mortar and concret... grrrrr... :S

Kellys_eye.. do you think I can cover the clay with plaster before it (the clay) dries? I have air drying clay and it cracks often...

and.., what type of paint would you use?

Thankyou again ayjay and kellys.

Dulce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:51 pm 

The PoP can be used onto clay if you simply allow the surface to get touch-dry - no baking needed but take obvious precautions in handling as it will distort quite easily if handled too much. You could also try laying a piece of cling film over it and pouring the PoP straight onto it before the clay dries. A thin coat of hairspray or other lacquer can also 'waterproof' the clay to stop the PoP sticking to it.

As for painting....any paint will do - use a thinned down version as a primer first, then when it dries slap on another, thicker, coat (un-thinned). You are aiming to seal the porous surface.

Use mortar/cement if you wish but it will absorb moisture and turn green (algae) if left outdoors - you could paint it beforehand of course.

You can use many different materials once you have the mould. Fibreglass as I already mentioned but also thermoplastics (thin perspex) heated with a hot gun (careful!) and pressed into the curves, papier mache (get the kids involved!), jelly! or even turn out some mashed potatoes for the kids dinner :lol:

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Wooooowww so many fantastic ideas!!!

Making our own kitchen moulds sound so cool....

THANKS a lot!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:57 pm 

Would a self-setting rubber work?

Such as Sugru?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXjgBDvOtI