DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:48 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Good peeps,

Looking for some advice, im kind of getting annoyed about spending daft amounts of money to heat my house and not actually getting it that warm, so its time put things right!

Some of the rads are are pretty old,oddly enough the oldest rads are the ones that work well, the pipe work was installed in the early 90's, the boiler was replaced with a Worcester 28cdi (combi) under a govt scheme about 4 years ago, its a 11 rad system. One of things ive done is to measure up rooms and estimated the heat requirements for the room, and a couple of the rads are woefully undersized, so the boiler despite being efficient, isnt working so efficiently, so hopefully adding some oversized rads should get the return temps down and help the boiler actually condense!

The major problem is that the out of a 3 story house, the ground floor rads are warm at the top and cold at the bottom, the 1st and 2nd floor rads are piping hot!

My plan is to switch out 2 of the ground floor rads that are rubbish and undersized, replace alot of the valves with TRV's (all bar 2 rads),add some plinth rads in kitchen and downstairs bathroom and give the system a good clean.

I have access to a fernox powerflow II to help things, so the plan is:

1. Flush the system with a fresh water.
2. Drain and add new rads, alter any pipework, add trv's (pegler)
3. Refil system, add Sentinel x800 and run system for 2 hours
4. Flush whole system with fresh water.
5. Flush each rad individually, starting from the top rad, spending 30 mins per rad, reversing the flow after 15 mins.
6. Add inhibitor,balance system and hopefully revel in a toasty house, whilst saving money on my bills!

My only fear is that, around 7-8 years ago, one of the rads on the 1st floor never worked, and it turned out to be an issue with the pipe leading upto the rad being near enough blocked with crud, around 2 foot of the pipe was like this, im not sure if the sentinel x800 is man enough to clean somthing like this if its a similar issue, and im not sure if i can use Fernox DS40, as its a aluminium HE in the worcester boiler, what else could i use as the cleaner, or is it worth me using Sentinel X400 and leaving it in the system for 2 weeks prior to starting the flush?

Any comments/advice greatfully recieved :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

1. Before doing any of the above I'd suggest:
1a. Drain the system.
1b. Fit a filter like the Magnaclean Professional or Spirotech MB3 in the return to the boiler.
1c. Refill, drain and refill the system a few time, ending up with it full. Clear filter at every drain.

2. Then
2a. Add the new radiators / plinth heaters etc. and install TRVs.
2b. Balance the system - there are numerous instructions on how to do this on the internet. It takes ages.
2c. Add X400 and circulate for a couple of weeks.
2d. Drain, refill, drain, refill, drain and clean filter.
2e. Add X100 and refill.

If you do use a powerflush machine my own preference is to cut into and attach to the flow and return, leaving the boiler isolated. In my opinion there is otherwise the risk of washing sludge etc. into the heat exchanger. Make sure you understand and follow the power flushing instructions (the Kamco site has a very good guide) and use a more powerful chemical like X800 or Kamco FX2 (but note that the FX2 must be neutralised after flushing).

For this message the author andy48 has received gratitude : wassap
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Moved to CH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am 
Newly registered Member

andy48 wrote:
1. Before doing any of the above I'd suggest:
1a. Drain the system.
1b. Fit a filter like the Magnaclean Professional or Spirotech MB3 in the return to the boiler.
1c. Refill, drain and refill the system a few time, ending up with it full. Clear filter at every drain.

2. Then
2a. Add the new radiators / plinth heaters etc. and install TRVs.
2b. Balance the system - there are numerous instructions on how to do this on the internet. It takes ages.
2c. Add X400 and circulate for a couple of weeks.
2d. Drain, refill, drain, refill, drain and clean filter.
2e. Add X100 and refill.

If you do use a powerflush machine my own preference is to cut into and attach to the flow and return, leaving the boiler isolated. In my opinion there is otherwise the risk of washing sludge etc. into the heat exchanger. Make sure you understand and follow the power flushing instructions (the Kamco site has a very good guide) and use a more powerful chemical like X800 or Kamco FX2 (but note that the FX2 must be neutralised after flushing).

Cheers for that, will grab some X400, there is a magna filter already fitted.