DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Our last place was way much easier than this new place.. We didn't realise until we moved in that the walls were covered in plasterboard, last property we had was just normal concrete wall.. So to mount the TV onto the wall, we just found the correct wall plug to use, and drilled 6 holes, put them in, use a bracket and bolts to attach into the wall, and the TV was fine...

Now because it is plasterboard it appears to be a lot more difficult than that.. My Brother In law started doing it last week (and I really wished he hadn't) He suggested to get two packs of http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-metal-hollow-wall-anchor-pack-of-10/254565_BQ.prd because they are suppose to be heavy duty ones.. Now all he has done is drilled 4 holes and put 4 in, and then when home and said to be on the safe side get a professionals in. I wished he had said that before he had attempted to do anything..

Now I am not sure if those fittings/fixtures will support the bracket and of course the TV.. We are not using any studs sections.. It needs to go in the middle of a certain place due to our living room be L shape. If I put more in will that help spread the load/weight and make the TV safe... Do not want it to fall off...

If I have to use some other fixtures/fittings is there a away I can removed the existing fittings/fixtures without damaging the plasterboard?

I have been quoted £90 or £130 to do this and someone other work... Is that too cheap or about right? Can I go with any handyman or do I really need to go with a big company to do the work please??

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:42 am 
Newly registered Member

I've used the "Grip-It" plasterboard fixings many times for all sorts of jobs, they are really strong and very easy to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-TV-Bracke ... op?ie=UTF8

You can probably remove the wall anchors your bro-in-law used (push them through into the cavity if it comes to it) and re-drill the holes for these.

You may need to drill out the mounting holes on your TV bracket to 8mm to take the bolts these come with, but that shouldn't be difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Stooby2 wrote:
I've used the "Grip-It" plasterboard fixings many times for all sorts of jobs, they are really strong and very easy to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-TV-Bracke ... op?ie=UTF8

You can probably remove the wall anchors your bro-in-law used (push them through into the cavity if it comes to it) and re-drill the holes for these.

You may need to drill out the mounting holes on your TV bracket to 8mm to take the bolts these come with, but that shouldn't be difficult.

Very interesting indeed... I guess if I use these then I can get a normal handyman to do the work.. In regards to the existing holes for other fittings/fixture I am taking a guess that the holes needs to be bigger for GRIP IT? If so can we make the existing holes wider, or do I need to drill completely new holes? If new holes how do I repair/cover up old holes?

In regards to the plasterboard fittings itself once installed can you reuse them again? For example can we take them with use when we move and use at the other property??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:50 pm 

Speaking as a "normal Handyman" (at least I think I'm normal) I wouldn't trust any of those fixings. EDIT to hold an expensive TV anyway.

I'd find the studs, chop out the plasterboard and add a noggin say 3 x 2 between the studs, fill or plaster over then screw the tv mount directly into the noggin.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Ktuludays
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm 

:withstupid:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
:withstupid:

eh??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:31 pm 

:withstupid: means he agrees with my advice.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:33 pm 

FWIW :withstupid: as well.
I wouldn't hang a TV off plasterboard fixings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dave54 wrote:

But the whole house is covered in plasterboard and it's a rented property. So I can't remove the plasterboard.. I would love to have normal walls as before....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:05 pm 

byron wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

But the whole house is covered in plasterboard and it's a rented property. So I can't remove the plasterboard.. I would love to have normal walls as before....

Get a tv stand/cabinet then :lol:

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:08 pm 

Seriously tho. How long is the bracket? They are usually longer than 600mm wide so if you want to go down the route of mounting it without putting in noggins then you'll get at least one fixing into a vertical stud as they are set at 600mm centres. This would mean only relying on one plasterboard fixing and a solid screw into a stud which is a whole lot better than relying on toggles alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:09 pm 

"Normal" walls these days (anything built since the early/mid 80's ish unless a premium build) will either be dot'n'dab plasterboard or exactly what you have, plasterboard over studwork. If you don't want to take my advice then I suggest you buy a tv stand

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=TV+st ... 66&bih=638

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:11 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
byron wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

Get a tv stand/cabinet then :lol:

That's what I'd do.
The question gets asked a lot though,
https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partner-pub-4225734504396378:4573051605&ie=UTF-8&q=tv+on+plasterboard&sa=Search&ref=www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/search.php%3Fsearch_id%3Dnewposts#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=tv%20on%20plasterboard&gsc.page=1
The problem with any fixing directly into plasterboard is that it's only as strong as the plasterboard. TVs are pricey. . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Seriously tho. How long is the bracket? They are usually longer than 600mm wide so if you want to go down the route of mounting it without putting in noggins then you'll get at least one fixing into a vertical stud as they are set at 600mm centres. This would mean only relying on one plasterboard fixing and a solid screw into a stud which is a whole lot better than relying on toggles alone.

If that is true then why when my brother in law drilled the four holes for the end of the bracket he only found plasterboard and no stud. I have no idea how big plasterboard pieces are. But we have got a L shape room, the TV needs to go in the middle of certain part of the wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
"Normal" walls these days (anything built since the early/mid 80's ish unless a premium build) will either be dot'n'dab plasterboard or exactly what you have, plasterboard over studwork. If you don't want to take my advice then I suggest you buy a tv stand

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=TV+st ... 66&bih=638

I do not need to buy a TV stand thank you much.. I got one.. But because of the seating setup, and where it does not work.. That is why it needs to go on the wall..