DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Building a deck
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys. I'm planning on building a deck in the near future and was hoping you guys could help me out with advice along the way. I have some pictures to show roughly where it will be situated..

I want to use either 3.6m boards up and down or 4.8m boards left to right. How do I go about working out the dimensions of the base, with regards to the board lengths? If I wanted to make a deck that was 4.8m x 3.6m (one of those dimensions will be exact, depending on which length board I use), would the base be exactly that dimension also?

If I've understood properly, I fix the ledger to the wall and then set the posts level from that. Is 80mm (even closer when the boards are fixed) too close to the damp proof course, when fixing the ledger?

Will I have any problems building the deck so close to the fence on the left hand side? Access whilst building, fixing deck to posts etc?

Where the ledger board butts out from the building to the left hand side, would it need to be attached to another post in that corner?

Do you think I will have to contact my local council with regards to the height of the deck from the ground, over at the right hand side? I think I read 300mm was the max height without planning permission?

I have lots of other questions about specific dimensions, spacings, fixings, railings, gates etc, though i'll leave it there for now. Any advice would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 146.46 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 136.86 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 143.26 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 144.56 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 147.12 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Building a deck
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:09 pm 

80 mm is too close to the dpc; you will want 150mm ish from the finished level of the deck.

Next the frame, are you planning to face the deck with a deckboard ? in which case you'll need to adjust the frame accordingly.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Kev123
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
80 mm is too close to the dpc; you will want 150mm ish from the finished level of the deck.

Next the frame, are you planning to face the deck with a deckboard ? in which case you'll need to adjust the frame accordingly.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hmm yeah, I had read it was meant to be 150mm, though I was unsure as to how strict building regs are with this? As I have seen online that some people do overlook this, when building their decks. I guess if I could lower the deck further away from the dpc, I could aim to get it below the 30cm max height above ground, which is a plus. This would in turn mean that I would have to build a step up from the deck to the patio doors.

In my head, this sounds like the better approach (as I wouldn't have to wait 8 weeks or so for planning permission). Though i'm concerned about how the deck would look when it meets the grass/earth as you come away from the house? The deck would be running under the ground/grass line to one side (where the slope is). Do decks commonly look like this when building low into a slope?

And yes mate, i'm planning on facing the whole deck with deckboards. How are these fitted? Do they fit underneath a slightly overlapping board above, so as you don't see the edge of them?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm 

You don't have to attach a ledger to the wall. You can set a joist 20/30mm(on a post set into the ground)away from the wall and start your first board say 10/15mm away from the wall which means nothing is attached to the brickwork. Does away with any problems regarding the dpc level.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Kev123
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

steviejoiner74 wrote:
You don't have to attach a ledger to the wall. You can set a joist 20/30mm(on a post set into the ground)away from the wall and start your first board say 10/15mm away from the wall which means nothing is attached to the brickwork. Does away with any problems regarding the dpc level.

Thanks for the reply.

As this is the first time i'll be having a go at decking, I was thinking that the ledger would be an easier starting point when leveling out all of the other posts. Also, If I did go for the posts option, could I possibly hit the foundations - digging so close to the extension?

I'm currently awaiting a reply from my local council with regards to the height of the deck being over the max 30cm limit. If they say I need to apply for permission, then I may look at ways to bring it under 30cm, so as I can get started straight away.

Looking at my pictures, does anybody have any ideas on how I would go about this? I'm guessing there will be a lot of digging to try and reduce the slope a bit. Would I have to remove the equivalent (say 2 to 3 courses of bricks worth) amount of earth from the slope, or could I remove maybe 1 course worth and then dig trenches to fit the framework? I hope I'm making sense :roll:

The 30cm max limit is exactly online with the course of bricks that sits touching the slope to the left hand side.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi again.

Does anyone know whether or not it is possible to build the deck so close to the fence on the left hand side?

I would leave the skirting off on this side, as you wouldn't see it anyways. As for the actual framework and railing, can it be done without drill access to the outside face of the deck that would be sitting facing the fence?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm 

I would avoid fitting a wall plate as a structural support against the house.

Any rain driving against the house wall will run down and soak the wall plate making it rot quickly.

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : Kev123
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Notch1 wrote:
I would avoid fitting a wall plate as a structural support against the house.

Any rain driving against the house wall will run down and soak the wall plate making it rot quickly.

Do you think this would still be the case if it was spaced (say 10mm) away from the brickwork, using washers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Good thread Kev, I'll keep a close eye on this as I plan on doing the same more or less.
The back of our house is the same lay out as yours only difference being we have no grass (slabs) or slope (flat)

Size will be slightly smaller - 4.8 x 2.5m

I am going to build a freestanding base ie no ledger board on ours.

Good luck with it :thumbright: