DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm 

I have just finished redecorating my kitchen and I am seeing roller lines in the paint on both the wall and the ceiling. I am using Dulux trade white matt on the ceiling and diamond matt barley white on the walls applying with a sherlock roller and purdy sleeve. The ceiling was a new plaster and coated in thinned mist coat then 2 coats neat. The wall in question has had just one coat neat as it is straight over existing barley white. This has not happened to me before but it is a long room and side wall which you look down as you enter it. This paint does seem to go off quick but the question is how do i get it sorted. your help appreciated. Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:04 pm 

What marks though? You can get the pattern left by the roller (steeple, orange peel) and you can spot the direction of travel, or you can get tram lines (paint left a bit thicker by the edges of the roller sleeve)? Tram lines may need to be sanded down very gently, orange peel I would say live with it (another thinner coat may help a bit).

5% and a bit more dilution of the neat paint may have helped esp. if the surface is drying too fast ... I can't comment on any tricks specific to dulux stuff.

EDIT. With the acrylic on the walls a thinner first coat might have helped to seal the surface a bit and then a stronger 2nd coat.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 pm 

I get skid marks sometimes, when the roller skids and doesn't initially turn. I think I might be putting too much paint on

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:51 pm 

Too much paint but more likely not evenly loaded paint (one side of the sleeve heavier than the other) ... but you can remove those easily as long as you see them, just roll over them and distribute the paint evenly.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:59 pm 

To much pressure on the roller, your over loading it or the ends of the roller are getting paint in them, all lead to a tram line affect

PS. do yourself a favour and paint the kitchen ceiling in satin or silk, matt just soaks up cooking fumes, oils and odour's over time and it goes yellow and patchy - yes been there and done that and its a pita to clean up

iKN. just a diyer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am 

Thanks for the feedback all. I am also going to give Dulux a call will have to try thinning it but not relishing sanding what I have just painted. Never suffered from this before so maybe I have been placing to much pressure i dont know. I always look for tram lines and roll them out as I go but the dried effect of orange peel going different ways in certain lights conditions is driving me nuts.
:cussing:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:50 am 

Just my two pennerth. I think that what happens is that as the roller is dipped into the paint (sometimes too deeply) and spread on the rolling part of the tray. Paint gets squeezed out and swept to the sides and you end up with two 'banks of paint' either side of the roller pathway on the tray. This often leads to a thicker level of paint at the roller sides which can lead to tramlines. To avoid this scoop any excess paint back to the reservoir in the tray with a brush and also roll out across the tray to equalise the paint spread on the roller.

Certainly pushing too hard on the roller so that the pile fibres get crushed can also lead to lines. A lighter touch and more time spreading the paint on the tray is the answer.

DWD

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:52 am 

Quote:
but the dried effect of orange peel going different ways in certain lights conditions is driving me nuts.

After you roller each section of wall, say 2 or 3 roller widths, lay the paint off by rollering (without putting any paint on the roller and without any pressure on the roller) from bottom to top. This will help avoid the "different ways" effect that you are seeing as it makes all the paint molecules lie in the same direction, if that makes sense!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 am 

Also, is the purdy sleeve a long pile sleeve? The longer the pile the deeper more pronounced the orange peel if/when you get it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 pm 

re the sleeve it is a medium pile which was recommened by trade paints as the best one for this paint. I have just ogt off the phone with Dulux and they suggested it may be due to the light conditions and the fact that the diamond paint has a 10% sheen. they recommend a 10 % thinned coat to see if it improves and are sending a voucher for their Flat Matt product!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm 
Elephant Man

You need a trowel for Dulux emulsion, not a roller. :cussing:

Thinning will help, but you will need to sand any texture away.

Be careful it doesn't flash or picture frame, as I read Dulux VM and DM can do this in a thinned state. Not that it should but its Dulux after all.

I personally wouldn't touch Dulux emulsion with a barge pole these days. Crown VM and Clean Extreme don't give these issues, and have the consistency of emulsion, as they should. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dependent on what the original coating was on the wall, it could be down to surface porosity levels, so one coat would never be enough, but the second should level it all out.

Acrylics also dry faster than "normal wall emulsions" so work to smaller areas, cut in one wall at a time then roll. This is hard to describe, but do not over roll the paint, apply and leave. If you are struggling and placing too much pressure onto the roller, squeezing every last drip of paint you can, will also leave this kind of effect. This does come down to skill levels and knowledge of the coating.

The roller pile you have is possibly the best for holding enough paint and finish, you could use a shorter pile, but the finish is now dictated by what is already on, unless you sand it all back.

Thinning the product, I only use Johnstone's, but know Dulux and Crown's equivalent products are just about the same, and I go close to the recommended max 10%, this is dependent on colour though, as you may not need to thin a vibrant lime green.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

I didnt read it all but roller marks- roller quality( standart blue- it will not pick up too much of paint but will do smooth finish and of course temperature and thick paint is killer.Thin it down and be fast.Short pile isnt best idea.And about Purdy rollers eg. Purdy contractor is realy BAD.Not all what is named Purdy or Wooster are perfect!Some is good some isnt.It will cost you some money to find what is the best from them.I have lot of brushes, rollers but find the best way isnt cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:29 pm 

Thanks to all. I have now completed the job. After sanding back, then Thinning the paint and applying fairly sharply, it is a way better, albeit not as nice as I would I like it to be. I will give the Dulux flat matt a go next as I have the voucher to use up. Not sure if anyone has views of Fox brushes but have found these great good and very reasonable. I find the 1.5 inch ultra slim flat is very useful.