DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Flat Roofs: EDPM vs GRP
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:59 pm 

I want the flat roofs complete replacing on a property I own:

Currently they are old felt / bitumen. The ceiling roof has leaked into the lounge every year for the past 14 years I've owned it. I estimate the current roofs are more than 30 to 40 years old. The management company's contractors are only doing a cheap patch repair.

Please advise on the suitability of EDPM or GRP. I'm trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each material.

Many thanks!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 pm 

I have white GRP over the bays on my old house, every few years I 2 part paint, as used on boat hulls, if black is okay then EDPM or a good quality thick felt should work out cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 pm 

I've been quoted £1300 by a roofing contract to install GRP on both roofs. Sounds reasonable?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 pm 

Distorted Vision wrote:
I've been quoted £1300 by a roofing contract to install GRP on both roofs. Sounds reasonable?

See what period of guarantee he is prepared to give you; it should be 20 years.

davyp1

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 pm 

Yes it is 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am 

As I understand it, this guarantee is backed by the suppliers/manufacturers of the GRP materials to the roofers. I'm also given to understand that their is also a proviso that OSB Tongue and grooved boards are used to support the GRP.
If their quote includes the above, also for insulation bringing it up to current regs, I do think the quote resonable. But you could also get a check quote.

davyp1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:18 am 

We use GRP for orangery roofs.

The great advantage of GRP is that it is formed wet on site to any shape required, so for us any awkward gullys, house abutments, hopper shoots can all be fibreglassed and when finished there are effectively no joints anywhere.

The disadvantage of fibreglass is that it is very rigid so must be fitted that allow any movement and expansion / contraction on the structure. For an orangery that means the fibreglass is not stuck to the host building. On the orangery an upstand is fitted and screwed to the orangery roof up against the house wall, the fibreglass is bonded to the upstand then later lead flashing is dressed down over. Any movement that subsequently occurs only means the lead flashing is pulled a bit.

We use GRP with a darkish lead grey colour which seems to suit all situations really well.

Also nothing wrong with EPDM, but I think it is best suited to simple flat roofs which have no awkward nooks and crannies to be formed. The difference between the 2 systems depends more on the quality of the workmanship than the system used.

I tend to pay around £1,500 to £2,000+vat for an orangery roof to be done, which given that is just for fibreglassing and no insulation or timber, I think £1,200 is a fair price.

You might want to ask them about protecting the bay windows from drips etc whilst the work is done, GRP resin is a bugger to get off when its set!
Id be tempted to cover them completely with plastic sheeting.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am 

Notch1 wrote:
We use GRP for orangery roofs.

The great advantage of GRP is that it is formed wet on site to any shape required, so for us any awkward gullys, house abutments, hopper shoots can all be fibreglassed and when finished there are effectively no joints anywhere.

The disadvantage of fibreglass is that it is very rigid so must be fitted that allow any movement and expansion / contraction on the structure. For an orangery that means the fibreglass is not stuck to the host building. On the orangery an upstand is fitted and screwed to the orangery roof up against the house wall, the fibreglass is bonded to the upstand then later lead flashing is dressed down over. Any movement that subsequently occurs only means the lead flashing is pulled a bit.

We use GRP with a darkish lead grey colour which seems to suit all situations really well.

Also nothing wrong with EPDM, but I think it is best suited to simple flat roofs which have no awkward nooks and crannies to be formed. The difference between the 2 systems depends more on the quality of the workmanship than the system used.

I tend to pay around £1,500 to £2,000+vat for an orangery roof to be done, which given that is just for fibreglassing and no insulation or timber, I think £1,200 is a fair price.

You might want to ask them about protecting the bay windows from drips etc whilst the work is done, GRP resin is a bugger to get off when its set!
Id be tempted to cover them completely with plastic sheeting.

Notch, how about maintenance?
When I last had a roof done (about three years ago now) nothing was mentioned. I just wonder if anyone recommends
repainting say every five years or so?

davyp1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 am 

As said earlier I treat / paint mine like a boat hull as it is South facing and gets sunshine, UV, you have a good price if the product is finished correctly with a good thickness Gelcoat 0.5mm or more, as otherwise it will degrade with UV, mine is 37yrs old.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:11 pm 

Hi Davyp1,

I'm not aware any maintenance is required provided the gel coat is sufficiently thick.

I suppose a dark colour could fade as it is an added pigment in the same way pigment is added to paint rather than the self colour of the material. Ive done jobs that must be up to 10 years old and cant say ive ever seen any issues when returning to jobs. Out of interest I will ask the guys that do it and report back, as I would be interested to know.