DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone !!!

I've found myself visiting your forum because google just cant help me find a solution for this problem. :dunno:

So far Ive built up 2 long workshop tables about 2.3m x 0.9m. I have fitted castors to the bottom at 6 points because I have to be able to move the tables as the space isnt that big.

moving the tables on this slightly uneven floor is proving difficult due to the length and weight I guess so rather than buying really expensive castors with rubber wheels, I thought it would be amazing if I could make the tables glide across the floor on tracks! ( like those filing cabinets you see at doctors/hospitals, they seem to glide effortlessly across the floor.

My question is what are tracks called? where can I buy the stuff or better yet what do I search for ? I cant find anything resembling what I want? someone has to be selling the hardware for DIY purposes? Unless somebody knows another solution with the same sliding effect?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any help or advice given :)
Nik

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm 

You quote an 'uneven floor' so sliding anything over it isn't going to happen! Bigger (diameter) wheels would be the simplest solution - rubber ideally.

If you want esoteric then fit a hovercraft solution - air blow into upside-down 'cups' on the bottom of the feet.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Nik.scrimshaw
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:
You quote an 'uneven floor' so sliding anything over it isn't going to happen! Bigger (diameter) wheels would be the simplest solution - rubber ideally.

If you want esoteric then fit a hovercraft solution - air blow into upside-down 'cups' on the bottom of the feet.

Hi, thanks for the advice.... my floor is only slightly un-even, just flat concrete but not super smooth if that makes sense.....

I thought the sliding idea would require rails on the floor ? then some kind of metal rounded legs and a little grease ? The problem is I dont have a clue where to get these tracks/rails/feet :dunno:

just to be clear tracks or rails would fit the floor fine, anyone know where I can purchase from or how to make my own version ?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:45 pm 

Sounds a lot easier to get some bigger castors to me!
I've never seen the "rail system" you are asking about. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it's going to be a nuisance I'd have thought. Stick up above the floor, or keep getting jammed with dirt if it's a "groove" And grease? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
I worked somewhere we had some equipment on compressed air "hover feet" (I forget what they're actually called). They work well, but they need a dead flat, and clean resin floor to work on.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Nik.scrimshaw
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm 

Steel channel is relatively easy to get hold of and should work to have your wheels or castors run in. I would say don't use grease or oil as all that will do is attract dirt , dust and chippings which will gum up the track and your bench won't move. As it is you'll really need to vacuum out the track when it comes to the moving operation . If your workshop is anything like mine there are times when you can't see the floor let alone a metal channel which does make me think of another potential problem. You'll have two sections of metal on the floor where the bench "isn't" and it'll probably only be a matter of time before you trip over it. I would say the use of wheels would be a better option but should you want you can go a lot worse than this lot for metal sections,
https://www.metals4u.co.uk/mild-steel/c6/channel/c178

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : Nik.scrimshaw
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:39 pm 

Check out some of the DIY CNC sites.

You can use angle iron (inverted) as a rail and pairs of bearings to move along it much as the DIY CNC community use them for their X-Y rails.

Problem with moving worktops is keeping them still......

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Nik.scrimshaw
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm 

Hi,

Track runner bearings;

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/track_runner_bearings.html

I would strongly urge you never to adopt such a plan where you will introduce a tripping hazard; this would never ever be allowed in industry and should never be used in a home workshop. If I understand your plan correctly then wouldn't it be rather like placing your bench on a rail track; other members too advise against doing this for good reasons.

Bigger casters or wheels is the easiest; cheapest and safest option. Can't you simply adjust the casters already installed by packing them out with spacers to elevate the bench a bit more; my Shopsmith has casters and this too used to foul the workshop concrete floor but I simply drilled holes in the legs half an inch lower to accept the mounting set screws and nuts thus lowering the casters and now the Shopsmith can be moved very easily indeed. Keep it simple Nik and look at anything you do to see if it is safe. :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Nik.scrimshaw
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks people,
I understand it seems like a bad idea but it would make life much easier for me with this separated shoulder inury (I may still just go with better rubber castors).
The tracks they use on filing cabinet systems are like sunk within a mini ramp to make it much less of a trip hazard, but these are proving impossible to find online.

I did however come across these >
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sliding-Gate-Wheels-very-solid-with-bearing-6-options-/111323382743?var=&hash=item19eb6403d7:m:mSuX56c9zSewQsESlSGJn6w

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sliding-Gate-Floor-Track-/121111337243?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368#rwid

so at least Ive found an option now if I go down that route, thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:21 pm 
Pro Carpenter

ok my thoughts :lol:

why not have 2 benches half the size or even 3ft square with a drop in central section that would be easier to move and allow flexable use even in separate areas
clearing all the junk off a 3ft by 8ft area is difficult and has to go somwhere
2 seperate benches can easilly give you a small work are or a large extended area

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 am 
Newly registered Member

A different approach might be to put a better floor down. I have interlocking plastic tiles in my garage that are very good and will apparently take the weight of a forklift. They certainly don't notice the weight of my motorbike.

Oil and water just wipe off and it sorted the dust that was coming up from the concrete floor, which was not in great condition.

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring-c ... es-pp14434