DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

This is my first post here - and you'll have to forgive my complete naivety of DIY. Me and the other half have just bought our first house, and as millennials that google how to check our meter readings, its fair to say we're inexperienced on the DIY front.

The house we've bought is an end of terrace 1880's cottage. It's had a lot of work done on the inside and has been fairly modernised, but there' still some old quirks that we're wrapping our heads around.
After going in for the first time yesterday when the house was empty, we noticed that in the bedroom, once the wardrobes were removed, the wallpaper was peeling back. On further inspection I could see there was a thin layer of polystyrene insulation. After research I can see that this is called Kotina and was a common cheap way of insulating in the 70s/80s. It looks to have been lined over with lining paper and then wallpapered. Originally, I was just going to remove the paper and re-line and paint the lining paper (we don't really want wallpaper) but after spotting some damp marks I decided it needed further inspection.

From what I can see - the polystyrene lining is often used to stop condensation (and the wall is an exterior wall, the house is stone so would make sense) but I'm just a bit concerned before I re-paper, should I do something to combat the damp? Could this just be due to the wardrobes retaining extra moisture over a period of time?

I've seen it can help to buy a dehumidifier which I shall definitely do, and we've left it untouched as we're currently focusing on other rooms but just wanted some advice. I've attached some photos so you can see (and I've just received word that my boyfriend has scratched some off to look under whilst I'm at work ::b so eitherway we may have to re-insulate! )

There's also some slight marks on the same wall in the next bedroom, although no paper is peeling off. But just wanted to know what we're dealing with.

Thanks again and hope this makes sense!

Sophie

Attachments:
File comment: 2nd bedroom wallpaper
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.10.00.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.10.00.png [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 532 times ]
File comment: Under paper (where bf has scratched back!)
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.10.05.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.10.05.png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 532 times ]
File comment: With paper down
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.09.55.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 13.09.55.png [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 532 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:01 pm 

Well, the way to improve things might be beyond your DIY skills but I would recommend dry lining the inside of the external walls. This will improve heat loss and prevent cold spots that attract condensation. Have a look at this video to get an idea of the job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QWdw5vmok You may be able to get some help see https://www.freeinsulationgrants.co.uk/ ... n%20grants but it depends on your location as to what is avaiable

There is no reason you could not tackle this yourselves as we will be able to help and advise.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 pm 

Is it the end of terrace wall rather than front or back? -that is often the most exposed wall and damp is not uncommon.

As above, I would say you best solution is to insulate and dry line, or fit insulated plasterboard.

The existing polystyrene was stuck on the wall to try and stop the surface of the wall getting cold enough to form condensation and subsequently damp.

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : james232
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yeah it's the end of terrace wall. I think it's been there a while. I bought a pit of damp seal generally for the house but have read it's borderline pointless on inside walls. Would it be worth removing everything, damp sealing and then laying insulation on top?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:53 pm 

The point is that it is the cold wall that is causing most of the issues as any moisture in the air in the house will condense on the coldest places. My suggestion of dry lining with insulation will stop the condensation issues that are causing the wallpaper to lift etc. It will also reduce the huge heat loss that your solid external wall allows. Anything else is a bodge I am afraid and it will not solve your issue.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:58 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
The point is that it is the cold wall that is causing most of the issues as any moisture in the air in the house will condense on the coldest places. My suggestion of dry lining with insulation will stop the condensation issues that are causing the wallpaper to lift etc. It will also reduce the huge heat loss that your solid external wall allows. Anything else is a bodge I am afraid and it will not solve your issue.

DWD

I agree. It'll make a lot of difference to the heating bills and the comfort, as well as getting rid of the condensation problems. Well worth it IMHO. Only has to be done once.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 pm 

It may seem turning a redecorating job into a bit of a major task, but its not that difficult and you will stop the problem and have a nice dry room that wont either have a damp wall or smell of damp.

Either use insulated plasterboard, or use sheets of celetex over the whole wall, screw on vertical battens and then fix on plasterboard. The sheets of celetex need foil tape over each join to complete a vapour barrier.

Unless you want to try and tape n fill the joints you will nead a 'spread' to skim the wall for you.