DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:03 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please, I'm wanting to create a storage area with my garage roof space. I plan to leave the current trusses as they are and have the new ceiling / loft space floor around a foot lower than the base of these. I realise the loft area this creates won't be the easiest to use with these in the way but I don't plan to use it often and I believe the potential cost of changing the trusses would be high.

I wondered if anyone has done anything similar to this before, and also what materials they used and whether they plastered the ceiling. I've added some photos of the garage in it's current form below and the last image is my final plan.

Lastly, if anyone has any idea on what this would cost, I'd appreciate that too. The garage measures 17ft long x 9ft wide.

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

I'll move this to building in a mo.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ah sorry mod, thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:32 pm 

Thinking about what you propose to do, it is the new loft floor area which is the main item.
So I shall cover that.
Your criteria specified 1ft down from the bottom of trusses, so you would identify the nearest brick joint below this and mark out points for joist hangers @ 450mm centres.
Fit joist hangers suitable for 47x145 C16 Joists into the bed joint using 415mm Hand Grinder with diamond blade.
Lay fix 18mm t&g Chipboard to the area, providing a suitable access point.

To price this work, may I suggest you draw yourself a Bill of Quants of all materials required, then put money against your list getting prices off-line
For labour, add:-

Say - Joiner & Labourer - 2days.
Spread - 3days (would include boarding ceiling

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

George3G wrote:
Hi all,

I'm after some advice please, I'm wanting to create a storage area with my garage roof space. I plan to leave the current trusses as they are and have the new ceiling / loft space floor around a foot lower than the base of these. I realise the loft area this creates won't be the easiest to use with these in the way but I don't plan to use it often and I believe the potential cost of changing the trusses would be high.

I wondered if anyone has done anything similar to this before, and also what materials they used and whether they plastered the ceiling. I've added some photos of the garage in it's current form below and the last image is my final plan.

Lastly, if anyone has any idea on what this would cost, I'd appreciate that too. The garage measures 17ft long x 9ft wide.

Thanks

That's what my garage looked like when I moved into my new house, although mines is a triple the idea is the same. I removed the 2 prices of timber which forms the triangle, that left me with a flat surface along the joists. I put chipboard flooring down and left myself an access hatch. I just basically put 2x2x4 between 2 of the joists and screwed them in.

I then got hold of some cheap insulation from gumtree and stapled it to the chipboard. Once that was done I plasterboarded the ceiling.

Great bit of space.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:50 pm 

vlb wrote:
I removed the 2 prices of timber which forms the triangle, that left me with a flat surface along the joists.

Trusses are not meant to be altered in any way, the timber is all there for a reason and is skanky enough without removing some of it.

You might well get away with it, but I wouldn't want anyone reading your post in the future to think it's a good idea - it's not.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
vlb wrote:
I removed the 2 prices of timber which forms the triangle, that left me with a flat surface along the joists.

Trusses are not meant to be altered in any way, the timber is all there for a reason and is skanky enough without removing some of it.

You might well get away with it, but I wouldn't want anyone reading your post in the future to think it's a good idea - it's not.

Are the trusses the 2 peices of wood that are running across there? One of them is behind his box

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:01 am 

vlb wrote:
ayjay wrote:
vlb wrote:

Are the trusses the 2 peices of wood that are running across there? One of them is behind his box

The timbers on top of the bottom chords are braces, removing those wouldn't be as bad as removing part of the actual truss, especially if you replace them with flooring.

I have to add the caveat that roof trusses are not designed to be floors, they're OK for light storage (maybe Christmas decorations, but not your book collection).

Trussed roofs can be erected quite quickly,(without any great degree of skill) which is why they're popular with modern builders, but nothing beats a proper cut roof.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:40 am 

Everything that ayjay says is correct, the bottom chords of the trussed roof were never designed to become part of a floor!

Geoge3G in his original post said "I'm after some advice please, I'm wanting to create a storage area with my garage roof space. I plan to leave the current trusses as they are and have the new ceiling / loft space floor around a foot lower than the base of these. I realise the loft area this creates won't be the easiest to use with these in the way but I don't plan to use it often and I believe the potential cost of changing the trusses would be high."
While I may not have been completely clear in my post above, the intention was to position new 45x145 C16 Joists across the 9ft width of the garage supported by joist hangers let into the brick bed joint approx 1ft below the bottom chord of the trusses.

The above statement is intended to clarify my original post which was not clear that the new joists would run across the width of the garage.

Cheers

PS: George3G - If you have a problem compiling a list of materials in order to price the work, please say so as I would gladly give you a hand with that.

davyp1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone,

I've had three guys come in to quote, all three said they will bolt wood to the outer walls, probably using thunderbolts then attach joist hangers to this. I am still playing with the idea of having a go myself, need to find a loft ladder kit too!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
vlb wrote:
ayjay wrote:
vlb wrote:

The timbers on top of the bottom chords are braces, removing those wouldn't be as bad as removing part of the actual truss, especially if you replace them with flooring.

I have to add the caveat that roof trusses are not designed to be floors, they're OK for light storage (maybe Christmas decorations, but not your book collection).

Trussed roofs can be erected quite quickly,(without any great degree of skill) which is why they're popular with modern builders, but nothing beats a proper cut roof.

Didn't know that. Op please ignore my post don't want your roof coming down