DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have sealed a bath waste pipe join (PVC to Lead pipe) with Evo Stick Plumber's Mait (details below). My questions are: was this a bad idea and will it last? It appears to be watertight after draining a couple of full baths through it and watching nervously? It is Non-Setting Putty and the fact that it does not harden and create a solidified bond is a little worrying (I have downstairs neighbours!).
The 40mm PVC pipe from the bath joins to a Lead pipe that passes through the wall horizontally. The end of the lead pipe is like a blunderbuss muzzle and the PVC pipe was just inserted about 5 inches and sealed all around with Silicone. This had started to leak. It was a few years old. I replaced the Silicone with the Plumber's Mait. Should I have stuck with Silicone?
Very grateful for any advice.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 pm 

I wouldn't be happy about making a seal that way. If you can't completely change the lead for plastic , then what about something like this to make the connection?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-wf08-flexi-waste-straight-coupling-grey-38-45mm-x/81383?kpid=81383&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=Cj0KEQjwioHIBRCes6nP56Ti1IsBEiQAxxb5G_6qJkf8Ixfd__t8rULCRUBO9enIXZCho6lqGIxIxJcaAngz8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN7R4__wwtMCFQof0wodJT8Obg

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Midgeslayer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 pm 

Another product to consider using is a Butyl Rubber sealant.

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-350233/eve ... 0wodJ0QIgA

It is a product that, in effect, never sets. It only 'skins over' where exposed to air.

We are currently using it in the restoration of carriages on a Heritage railway, particularly when refitting window frames [to body] or when remounting guttering. Situations where it is important to prevent the ingress of water.

As to its viability in the long term. :dunno:

Terrible stuff to work with. Get it on your fingers and they turn black. :roll: It comes off in a day or two. :thumbleft:

Any residue can be removed with turps/thinners.

For this message the author Grumps has received gratitude : Midgeslayer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dave 54. Thanks, I had read about this kind of joint, may get one and try. One problem may be that there is very little of the lead pipe protruding past the wall. Only way to find out is to try one.
Grumps. Thanks for your suggestion. The Butyl rubber stuff sounds similar to the Plumber's Mait in that it is non-setting and filthy stuff to work with. The Mait sticks to everything and is a huge pain to remove once applied. Good to have more ideas though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 pm 

Use the proper connector as Dave's post, there are others and you need both pipe sizes. (OD)

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Midgeslayer