DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:10 pm 

Hi folks,
we have had planning granted for a loft conversion about 1 year ago, the architect / structural engineer put in the drawings the the collar ties would be moved upward from 206cm to 228cm with no additional support work to increase headroom.
The trusses bury at their base into the rubble house walls secured onto a wall plate. The house is circa 1850.
We have just had the roof reslated and 6 velux windows fitted, the roofer used his own joiner and although the collar ties aren't being moved just now I asked his thoughts. Now this chap was pretty rubbish his skills werent great but he got the job done - everything involved the easy way!
He said why bother it could cause problems but I don't know how good that advice is!
Why does anyone else think, anyone done this?
I am 6ft4 so keen to increase the height also we are fitting 37.5mm insulated Gyproc to the walls & slopes but not ceiling, so will lose some soace annoyingly to that!
I could increase the height of the collar ties from the current 160mm to 260mm C24?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 131.17 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 am 

I find it difficult to understand that you appear to be listening to the advise given by the Roofer whose skills & prowess you have very little regard for!
Not only this, but the fact that you are considering his opinions over those of your Architect/Engineer as outlined by the Drawings approved by the Planning Authority.
As things stand, you are moving the collar ties to 228cm all as called for by the drawing
With regard to the Insulated Gyprock (37.5) What other insulation is called for by the drawing to meet current Building Regs?
It's my feeling that you could agree with the Architect to reduce the sides to 12.5mm Board and compensate for the insulation in the void.
Any changes would be submitted by the Architect for approval.
One more question, did the Roofer install the Velux Windows in accordance with the details of the Drawing? (are timber & window sizes installed the same as those called for by the drawing)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:52 pm 

I know, but you know when someone puts doubt in your head its hard to get it out!

The insulation requirements are fairly demanding, we need to fill the spaces between the roof trusses which from memory is about 160-180mm we then need 25mm on top which is the 37.5mm gyproc / insulation.

Yes everything else to spec - hopefully!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:33 pm 

strath44 wrote:
I know, but you know when someone puts doubt in your head its hard to get it out!

The insulation requirements are fairly demanding, we need to fill the spaces between the roof trusses which from memory is about 160-180mm we then need 25mm on top which is the 37.5mm gyproc / insulation.

Yes everything else to spec - hopefully!

I think that you have probably answered your own question, and the decision is to ignore the Roof guy's coment about the collar ties!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm 

Move them up,one at a time and use the timber and fixing as per the drawing.

By the way the velux window openings don't look like they've been structured properly.
Could you post some pics around them. No galvanised shoes are on show for starters and the common rafters aren't doubled up judging by the photos,I may be wrong tho.

And did he use a breathable membrane over the sarking boards prior to slating?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 pm 

thanks.

The full roof was covered with a proctor roofshield membrane from memory was green in colour and specd by the Architect due do the nature of our roof space and ventilation requirements behind the insulation when its fitted.

I will take more pics, the room beams - rafters? running up the roof to the side of the veluxs should be doubled up they were not, this is being done soon. No metal plates were installed in the woodwork other than the ones which hold the velux windows to the roof / joists

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 pm 

This is how a velux opening should be framed.

Attachments:
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG [ 102.06 KiB | Viewed 778 times ]

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : davyp1