DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:12 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:53 pm 

Round at the mother in laws today and one of the cast iron joints is apparently leaking,had a quick look and couldn't see much tbh.
It's just a little leak and I'm not stripping the sections off as it's too much hassle and work tbh.
Sooooo what repair sealant would you guys recommend to give the joins a good coating with?
I know I should really be taking them down etc,etc but it's not happening :lol:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

I haven't used it for that job, but I've used "Plumbers Gold" for various bits and pieces and I'd try that for a quick repair on
cast iron gutter.
It will (so it says) stick to wet surfaces. It's very "sticky" and a bit thicker than normal sealant.
How long it'll last though I don't know.
They have it at Toolstation.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:16 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Round at the mother in laws today and one of the cast iron joints is apparently leaking,had a quick look and couldn't see much tbh.
It's just a little leak and I'm not stripping the sections off as it's too much hassle and work tbh.
Sooooo what repair sealant would you guys recommend to give the joins a good coating with?

No don't take em' down they last forever.
All you need to do is cut the end of the Gutter-bolt off at the leaky junction using say a 115mm Grinder. Use your punch to tap it through & use an old chisel to open the joint a little way.
Just clean out any loose old stuff and using a small brush work some paint (any old oil paint) into the joint area coating both mating parts of ther gutter. Then having worked up a ball of linseed-oil putty in your hand, push the putty between both sections of gutter at the joint area. Pull together by hand & insert a new Gutter-bolt and tighten.

It all sounds a bit of a pain, but its a doddle & I'l bet u a fiver you will never be back to it!

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:22 pm 

davyp1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

All you need to do is cut the end of the Gutter-bolt off at the leaky junction using say a 115mm Grinder. Use your punch to tap it through & use an old chisel to open the joint a little way.
Just clean out any loose old stuff and using a small brush work some paint (any old oil paint) into the joint area coating both mating parts of ther gutter. Then having worked up a ball of linseed-oil putty in your hand, push the putty between both sections of gutter at the joint area. Pull together by hand & insert a new Gutter-bolt and tighten.

It all sounds a bit of a pain, but its a doddle & I'l bet u a fiver you will never be back to it!

Yeah I know the drill Dave,I've done it loads of times on jobs and in my own gaff but this is a freebie and I'm not wanting to spend a day stripping it off,redoing all the joints and lugging the sections down a ladder on my own! Knowing my luck I'll break a section and then I'm really out of pocket.
It's getting patched up :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:51 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
davyp1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Yeah I know the drill Dave,I've done it loads of times on jobs and in my own gaff but this is a freebie and I'm not wanting to spend a day stripping it off,redoing all the joints and lugging the sections down a ladder on my own! Knowing my luck I'll break a section and then I'm really out of pocket.

I see your point Steve as it's a freebie, but you do not have to take it down your just working on the one joint. A ten minute job, worse case!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 pm 

davyp1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:
davyp1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

I see your point Steve as it's a freebie, but you do not have to take it down your just working on the one joint. A ten minute job, worse case!

yeah I know what you're saying Davy but the bolts would defo need grinding,it's up a fair height and I'm not the best up a ladder,especially with a grinder :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 pm 

Like you Steve I've done a fair few the same way as the other Dave suggests.
The snag is that for every few you do that are dead simple, you get one or two with some other problem.
As an aside, don't know if you've got a ladder stand off, but I got one recently after "get one next timing" for years. makes it a lot more pleasant to do anything like this.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : james232
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 pm 

Slacken of the joint, fire in standard gutter sealant, and tighten nut.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 pm 

cotswold builders wrote:
Slacken of the joint, fire in standard gutter sealant, and tighten nut.

The nuts are rusted solid and in a right shitty state with about 50 layers of paint in them.
The length spans into next doors house as it's a semi and this could open a can of worms if anything goes wrong. It's 100% getting bodged with plumbers gold lads!!