DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to run media cabling through a brick chimney breast and am looking for advice; I'm not sure how to build something that will allow me to access the conduit junction. I'd like to be able to re-run cabling at a later date without replastering. (Previous owners had VGA cables plastered directly into the wall!)

Do I chissel out a space, insert tiny pieces of plasterboard, run beeds on edges, and plaster? Sounds like a mess.
Is there a besoke wall-insert module I can buy somewhere? (Can't find any).
Do I build a softwood frame?

I'm not set on the square-plastic-flap thing in the image; a near-invisible plasterboard piece would be preferable.

None of my local builders will touch this as I've already removed the old cables and it looks like a mess arelady. :sad:

Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbleft:

Attachments:
File comment: Ideal concept for the access panel cover
plaster panel.jpg
plaster panel.jpg [ 52.1 KiB | Viewed 763 times ]
access_box_concept.png
access_box_concept.png [ 39.26 KiB | Viewed 763 times ]
File comment: Planned works
chimney_cabling.jpg
chimney_cabling.jpg [ 307 KiB | Viewed 763 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm 

Firstly I will inform you that hi-tec cable runs for electricity or otherwise, are not my particular field of expertise!
But sorting their routes and obscuring same from a build point of view is!

The first point I would make is "why come across the middle of the Chimney breast?"
My thoughts being that you could 'lose it' in the floor at the foot of the breast, or even in the ceiling void above.

Also, perhaps access to your vertical trunking could be obtained by the utilisation of one or other standard electrical 'back-box'
These could then be fitted with a 'blanking-off plate' at the front providing the access. These boxes are available in both flush and surface fixings.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s ... 4ZfLswrxvQ

Finally, I would recommend that you do not try to recess any trunking or access boxes into the masonry of the chimney breast without knowlegable supervision.
Hope that helps.

For this message the author davyp1 has received thanks - 2: rfalconer, wine~o
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:04 am 
Newly registered Member

davyp1 wrote:
The first point I would make is "why come across the middle of the Chimney breast?"
My thoughts being that you could 'lose it' in the floor at the foot of the breast, or even in the ceiling void above.

I need the cables to come out behind the TV. Do you mean "why not go straight up/straight down from the TV"? I didn't see a benefit in doing so.
There's already mains power running up inside of chimney. It may have been easier to follow that, but I wasn't sure how to access it from the floor above.

davyp1 wrote:
perhaps access to your vertical trunking could be obtained by the utilisation of one or other standard electrical 'back-box'

I elected to use quite large trunking so these are too small. I need something deeper. Someone suggested a plastic "electronics project box" which may be suitable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 pm 

Thank you for your response. I understand now why you would retain the existing trunking across the Chimney breast as it already exists and meets your needs. With regard to the vertical requirements in the right hand corner of the Chimney breast, I feel that you would best be served by constructing a bespoke vertical riser from timber grounds and ply. Access can be from removable panels screwed/cupped to the grounds. These access panels may be as big or as small as you require.
Do you think this type of arrangement would suit your purpose?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:24 pm 

Here's mine:

Attachment:
20170422_193517 (Custom).jpg
20170422_193517 (Custom).jpg [ 47.98 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Attachment:
20170422_193713 (Custom).jpg
20170422_193713 (Custom).jpg [ 43.81 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Attachment:
20170422_194214 (Custom).jpg
20170422_194214 (Custom).jpg [ 48.92 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Attachment:
20170422_194335 (Custom).jpg
20170422_194335 (Custom).jpg [ 100.95 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]

Granted it is in a stud wall, I got the plasterer to skim round it after I had mounted it all so the lid sits flush & is held on with six screws - the box came from Combined Precision Components, free delivery if you spend more than a fiver. I then drilled it as necessary.

Alternatively I noticed that my local builders merchant has access panels with doors similar to your second picture though these would sit on the surface, not flush. And I found this website: https://www.surespancovers.com/jakdor.htm

Paul

For this message the author arco_iris has received thanks - 2: davyp1, rfalconer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

davyp1 wrote:
I understand now why you would retain the existing trunking across the Chimney breast as it already exists and meets your needs. Cheers.

Sorry I wasn't clear; the white mark on the chimney isn't existing trunking, it's just discolouration from removal of a dado rail. There is no trunking "going across the middle" currently.

davyp1 wrote:
With regard to the vertical requirements in the right hand corner of the Chimney breast, I feel that you would best be served by constructing a bespoke vertical riser from timber grounds and ply.

Yes, this is good idea, but seems like a lot of work. I was hoping to keep the basic structure of the chimney breast and not need to hang plasterboard, adjust flooring/skirting, etc. It may have to come to that though.
I looked into removing the whole damn thing and replacing with framing, but apparently this seems to knock value off the house. People do love their wood burners.

arco_iris wrote:
Here's mine:
Attachment:
20170422_194335 (Custom).jpg

That looks great!
Yes, this is the sort of thing I'm after. In my case it won't be behind the TV though, so preferably I'd need something I can paint over. May be reasonable to just paint the cover though. Good plan.

For future readers the items Paul refers to can be found here:
http://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electrical-lighting/enclosures-racks-accessories/enclosures-boxes-cases

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 pm 

rfalconer wrote:
Yes, this is the sort of thing I'm after. In my case it won't be behind the TV though, so preferably I'd need something I can paint over. May be reasonable to just paint the cover though. Good plan.

For future readers the items Paul refers to can be found here:
http://cpc.farnell.com/w/c/electrical-l ... oxes-cases

There's no reason that I can envisage as to why not the box lid can't be painted over, it is a mottled textured plastic surface. In my case, the box complete with lid fitted was installed at the level of the skim, covered with duck tape & trimmed round with a scalpel. Once the skim had gone off, scalpelled round it again & removed the tape. I told my plasterer that if it didn't work I'd simply buy another box in order to get a new lid, but didn't need to.

Behind the box is, on the left, conduit containing ring main into a plasterboard box inset into it, cut square using a jigsaw. On the right, both at top and bottom, 20mm conduit connectors feed in aerial & cat6 from above, 2x aerial down to a wall plate at skirting level (in case ever want to put a PVR in/on a unit below).

In actual fact the TV has wireless (through a repeater, so cat6 not needed) & iplayer.... this is in 250yo Grade II Listed building having 24" thick stone walls. I was a amazed that it all worked.

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : rfalconer